Type-C silica

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone.
I've been curious of a certain column from Microsolv, namely the UDC Cholesterol. They classify this as a Type-C silica, as there are no silanols but instead silocon-hydride (Si-H).

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a try with any of the Type-C silica columns? Any general thoughts on how they performed?
Hybrid column materials were commerciallised first as XTerra columns from Waters. Please check the available literature about such column materials. Synthesis is 100% top secret how to do it. But this process makes only sense when you use an extremely pure silica. You will see it on the peak shape etc.!
Gerhard Kratz, Kratz_Gerhard@web.de
Gerhard, these C-Type columns are no hybrid columns such as XTerra or XBridge, but something else. No hyBrid, but hyDride 8)
AFAIK silica is reacted with some sort of hydride in order to convert the silanols to Si-H, thus eliminating residual silanols.
I have never worked with those, partly because I was repelled by the obvious marketing claim ("C-type silica! Since type B is better than type A, C must be even better!").
Well I have ordered a column and I hope I'll get some time to try it out quite a bit. If anyone has some info on how they have experienced the column please let me know, and I'll do the same when I've done some work on it.
Hi Perreman,

I've not used the cholesterol phase, but I've used and liked well the Diamond Hydride and C18-derivatized Cogent columns from MicroSolv. Their LC vials are quite good as well in my opinion with respect to their inertness to polar compounds.
MattM
Thanks for the info Matt. Did you perhaps notice any interesting interactions (or lack of them) which could relate to the Si-H?
Hi Perreman,

As I recall, the Cogent C18 in particular was very good at retaining polar compounds when I used in in RP mode...didn't try any of the aqueous normal phase-type of eluent mixtures. Was working with water-soluble vitamins back then at Merck. The Cogent hydride column I used for separating oxidized and reduced glutathione...probably didn't need this particular phase to do this, but tried it out when I had the opportunity and it worked well. Good peak shapes in general...good retention for polar compounds...these are my impressions.
MattM
I tried that column long before for organic acids, not good as salesman says. you can try and maybe better luck.
8 posts Page 1 of 1