glucosamine and KC-811

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
If the KC-811 column can use to seperate and detect the glucosamine?
marx,

Probably not. You are using a high capacity cation exchange column and the retention time for glucosamine will be very long with the standard eluent since glucosamine will be a cation under these conditions.

Thank you for your reply.

You glucosamine will retain simlar to the following aminosugar:

http://hplcmethods.com/compound_003.php

You can replace sulfuric acid with TFA, ammonium acetate, ammonium formate, etc. You can elute shorten retention time by increasing concentration of the buffer
SIELC_Tech,

Perhaps it wasn't your intent but your post seems to suggest that you can use "TFA, ammonium acetate, ammonium formate, etc." to adjust retention Glucosamine on the KC-811 column. In fact, none of you are suggestions would be of any help since the capacity of the column in question is far higher than the column shown via the link in your post. The eluent suggestions would be of no help on this column as this is the wrong column for this application. Furthermore, the ammonium salts you suggest would damage the column since the column is a gel based cation-exchange column and such materials undergo significant change in particle size when changing salt form.

Of course, my guess is that you really meant to suggest your column as an alternative to the KC-811 column. In this case, one might argue that your post was rather inappropriate considering the fact that the original post did not request suggestions on alternative columns for the separation but rather asked whether or not the KC-811 column could be used for this separation. Dionex makes more than a dozen columns which could be used for this application but you'll notice that I did not recommend any of them, not because they wouldn't work for the application but because the original post asked about using a specific column for a specific analyte. Somehow, it seems inappropriate to use every post as a pretext for promoting your product. True, there are many cases where this is appropriate and you'll note that on many occasions I have promoted Dionex products in such cases. However, the purpose of this forum is not meant to be a vehicle for selling our products but rather it is meant as a medium through which practitioners of the art may gain information about problems encountered or to seek answers to questions associated with the practice of chromatography.

Chris,

My bad..., no harm intended.

I decided to give the link after you stated that KC-811 will not work. I forgot to add "as alternative you can consider Primesep" as this might be a good solution for this particular compound.

I don't know how can anybody after looking at the our graph can make conclusion to use mobile phase for KC-811, but I guess somebody might.

I am sure that Dionex has a lot of columns to offer.
I have developed a method that uses Polymer Labs Aqua-Gel-OH columns (30 and 40) and any type of universal detection (RI, ELSD). Using Ammunium Formate at pH of 9 with these columns gives a broad uniform peak separated away from the Chondroitin Peak that comes out first. This mixed mode separation allows you to measure Glucosamine and ID Chondroitin at the same time. Glucosamine is separated by Ion Exchange and Chondroitin by size.

PL came up with a method using 50:50 Methanol:Potassium Nitrate (pH 9) and RI detection. Just play with the pH to get the retention time that works the best and gets Glucosamine away from Sodium. My mobile phase, which is detected by ELSD, is 100% water with 60mM Ammonium Formate at pH 9. The columns are expensive, but we must have well over 10000 injections on these with no sign of wear.
Tony Montanari, Ph.D.
Method Development Manager
Perrigo Company of South Carolina
4615 Dairy Drive
Greenville, SC 29607
Phone: 864-627-3997
Fax: 864-627-3713
7 posts Page 1 of 1