By Anonymous on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:17 pm:

Hi, Dear Chromatographers:

I have a question regarding column washing/storage after use each time, specifically, we are analysing basic compounds using RP C18 column, mobile phase - K2HPO4 buffer with TEA/ACN, at the end of run we wash the column with gradient of H2O/ACN and store at 50/50. But we are experiencing repeatability problem even after long time column equlibrating. Is this related to TEA? Could someone suggest a better washing method? Also generally what is the better way to wash a column after using buffer/ion-pair mobile phase?

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:49 am:

Dear sir after finsihing your analysis, first you wash with water, then H2O/ACN 50/50 and finally store it in H2O/ACN 20/80

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:15 am:

I suggest to wash the column first for one or two hours with H2O/ACN 80:20. If TEA was used or you're afraid that basic compounds were not purged from the column, add acid (no buffer!) to gain a pH around 3 to solve TEA (or bases) from the surface. Stop the flow for some time (30 min or so) and wash again with this eluent for one or two hours. Or programm a method which stops the flow after 30 min. for 10 min, repeating this procedure 5 times.
Then proceed with step 2 and 3 as Anon above described.

By Uwe Neue on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 03:20 pm:

If you want to keep your column stable, long term storage (more than three days)should be done in 100% organic, best acetonitrile. For day-to-day storage, it matters little what you do. I would do nothing, to save time the next morning.

By Anonymous on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks Uwe @ Anons for your suggestions.

When we use Buffers(K-PO4), we normaly wash with H2O - H2O/ACN - ACN, and store in H2O/ACN. It works fine. The problem comes when we use both buffer and ion-pair or modifier like TEA. On several ocassions, after we wash/store the columns the same way, we couldn't get the repeatable results, e.g., RT, peak shape even on the same system and after long time equilibrating. I guess buffer can be easily washed out from the column, but how about ion-pair/TEA? Since IP/TEA modify silica surface, is it neccessary to wash them out every time and then take long time to re-equilibarate/modify the column again when use next time? Maybe do nothing is the way as suggested above?
Thanks again.

By Uwe Neue on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

With true ion-pair reagents (like octylsulfonic acid, SDS, or a tetrabutyl ammonium salt), it always takes a long time to reequilibrate. The reason is that you need to build up the reagent concentration on the surface again after you have removed it. Therefore I prefer to store a column that is used with an ion-pair reagent in the mobile phase without washing. TEA should not be a strong enough pairing reagent to cause problems. In addition, the molar concentration used with TEA is usually higher than what is used in typical ion-pairing separations. Therefore, for a column that is just used with a TEA buffer, I would go the other route and store the column for long-term storage in an organic solvent.
To store a column in an aqueous system does not improve the lifetime (unless you are using aggressive mobile phases), and it adds to the work load for reequilibration.

By Anonymous on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 04:07 am:

Try using a guard column during analysis