By Anonymous on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:31 am:

Is there any recommended solvent for electronic industry?? I work for a PCB manufacturer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Chris Pohl on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 08:08 pm:

Do you mean extraction solvent or mobile phase solvent? What is your analytical system, analytes, etc.?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 06:01 am:

Sorry for returning your message so late. I meant extraction solvent and I have Dionex system for Ion Chromatography.

By Chris Pohl on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:13 pm:

The general rule is: if possible use deionized water. Deionized water is available in much better purity with regard to contaminant ions and so your blanks will be lower. I know, however, that under some circumstances a solvent is necessary and in this case the most common solvent is isopropanol.

By Anonymous on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 01:34 am:

will isopropanol (or other solvents e.g MeOH/EtOH) harm the column or the suppressor ?or preconcenrator column.

By Chris Pohl on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:33 pm:

Isopropanol will not harm any of the components you mentioned above although electrolysis byproducts in the suppressor may result in a "hump" in the baseline as a solvent passes through the regenerant chambers if you are working in the recycle mode (some of the electrolysis byproducts are weakly acidic anions which can pass across the membrane and contaminate the eluent stream). Depending upon the sensitivity you are using, you might find it preferable to work in the external water regenerant feed mode in order to avoid this problem.