Separating the LC from an LC-MS to run as stand alone HPLC

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Greetings all,

I have enjoyed learning from this forum for many years now, but have not had the need to post until now.

I tried searching both current postings and the archive, but could not find anything related to my question. I apologize if I missed a relevant thread.

We have a non-working Agilent G1969A LC/MSD TOF (the MS is non-functional). I want to recover the LC portion to run as a stand alone 1100 HPLC. (It has a PDA UV detector built in.) Agilent claims we will need to purchase a different software package and controller board to make that work. (To the tune of ~ $50K or more!!)

That just doesn't make sense to me, as the current software must have run the LC portion of the instrument and collected data from the PDA in its original state, so I am hoping that the software package we already have can be modified to run the HPLC with just UV detection.

Does anyone out there have any experience in attempting to do this? Suggestions about how to go about it?

Thank you in advance for any ideas/comments/suggestions/etc. you might have for me.
I assume this is currently running with MassHunter?
Interesting. We had an Agilent 1100 HPLC with DAD connected to an Agilent 1046 MSD. All we had to do was disconnect the MSD and "remove" the MSD from the configuration in Configuration Editor. We had Chemstation A.09 if that matters.

So it didn't cost us anything, as we already had and were using the HPLC software.
That's why I asked about MassHunter. In Chemstation you certainly just remove the MSD from the configuration and carry on as normal. In fact you can even ignore the configuration and just write methods with the "Use MSD" box not ticked, but of course if you don't have an MSD, you'd have to endure Chemstation's complaints every time you start the software!

With MassHunter I have no idea whether life is as simple, but I hoped someone would say it is!
Thank you both! I was not the designated caretaker when the MSD was operational, so I'm not exactly sure which MS software package is installed. I hope it's Chemstation, and I did find a screen shot in the paperwork that I think is the Configuration Manager that suggests I can just uninstall the MSD and go. At least, I hope so! :)

I'll be sure to post the results when we get this figured out!
With MassHunter, I'm pretty sure can't work without MS. But, on a several occasions, we used ChemStation (installed on another networked computer) to control LC part (1200 series). We only had to disconnect the cable between LC and MS/MS (6410 series QQQ), so that LC does not wait for 'ready' signal from MS, but otherwise it worked OK.
Dejan Orcic
Asst. prof.
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Environmental Protection
Faculty of Sciences, Novi Sad, Serbia
6 posts Page 1 of 1