Waters Alliance SMS issues

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi !!!
Can somebody guide for the problems occurance in Waters Alliance Solvent Management System (SMS)
At start up it initializes, board etc with OK screen display then initializes autosampler, etc and stops at Pump process and appears as "PLUNGER HOMING FAULT (0)"

This particular problem is not identified anywhere even not on Waters Web

Anybody have experience please do share

Thanx
hm, maybe I'm remembering wrong but I guess it could be an issue with some clogged in-line filters.

- Try to open the purge valve before power on, maybe this prevents the failure
- replace the inline filter
- dry prime the system with methanol
Thanx !! I removed the issue today it was small 7amp mini fuse located on SMS board. Now the system has started to work , some errors as LOST PRIME issue which i am sure will be removed as long as we flush the unit. Its really silly that Waters doesnt mentions this issue with any helpful protocol nor in Allaince built in diagnostics.
Thanks for your interest.

Hollow wrote:
hm, maybe I'm remembering wrong but I guess it could be an issue with some clogged in-line filters.

- Try to open the purge valve before power on, maybe this prevents the failure
- replace the inline filter
- dry prime the system with methanol
Hi,

The error is identified, The (0) identifies the Primary Pump but this error is caused when the fuse on the plunger drive PCB fails also, also when the plunger driver signal cable to the CPU is loose or not connected. Worth keeping an eye on this system.
There is a list of errors on the Waters website, listed under the parts identifier section.
Hi!

I have the same problem and the instrument continuously shows 'Plunger homing fault (0)'. I think it might me the fuse since we had a blackout recently before problem appeared. I tried to localize that microfuse but I can't find it. Can anyone guide me where to find it and how does it look like?
power intrerruption is very likely the cause of this failure.

the fuse is located on the plunger board, bottom-back, left side of the Alliance.

power off the system
open the left side of the Alliance
the board is in the "case" behind/below the torpedos and can be removed sidewards (maybe pull the pistons tray forward from the front first)
the fuse is labeld as "F1"

don't know about the exact definition of the fuse, got mine from Waters directly.
Its a small SMD type fuse, 7A x ????
Ran into this same issue, same error and no fix by removing inline filters/lines etc.

In my case on a 2695 system, the fuse is under the torpedo tubes, that sit on a metal plate held in by I think, 6 screws. On the side with the cable connections there is a fuse labeled "F1". Pop it out carefully with something sharp/pointed.

The replacement is a Littlefuse P/N 0451007.MRL, 7A 125V surface mount fuse. Cheap and probably cheaper than going through Waters. A pack of 10 was somewhere around $8. I ordered through Mouser Electronics, part number 576-0451007.MRL

Yes, the tubes can fail but in my case, a quick check on a multi-meter confirmed a failed fuse.
Hi, you open left side of hplc, and you will see two screw in the bottom. Tou slide the PCB board abd you see the 7a smd fuse, replace and solve the problem.
Hi, I encountered this issue also. Can anyone provide the part number of the fuse?

Thanks
9 posts Page 1 of 1