Agilent 1100 HPLC air bubble and baseline problem

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

25 posts Page 2 of 2
MitchHowell wrote:
Hi Agient China,

I also want the used Agilent system. Why does Agilent China want the used systems? Sell to customers or to support obsolete products? Thanks.

Mitch

I have some customers who need the used Agilent system. I also have strong technical support to maintain the system, so I can give warranty to my customers. If you have some ,please contact with me .Thanks
you always wellcome,MitchHowell
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
MitchHowell wrote:
I used another loan degasser. For about 3 hours, the pressure was stable with ripple below 5%. I will monitor the pressure for next 12 hours.

Our ripple is routinely under 0.5% (ten times less than what you have). I believe the max spec is 2.0%.

I'm refering to 1050 vacuum degasser here, haven't taken apart an 1100: Check the rubber vacuum tubing for cracks or loose-fitting ends; if found, get some vacuum tubing from auto parts store or from Agilent.

Had the same issue at our lab.
Hi Consumer Products Guy,

Eventually I have found out that my degasser was having problems:

degasser chamber, degasser pump, solenoid and the degasser sensor board. I do not believe it, all failed.

Now the ripple is below 1%, at +/- 0.5 pct.

Thanks for help.

One more question, does anyone know where to get the service manual or part number for spare parts and electronics boards of Agilent newer models like th 1200 LC, 1260 RRLC, 7890 GC, 5975 MS? For older models, we can get it from Agilent website under illustrated parts breakdown.
Does anyone know where to get the service manual or part number for spare parts and electronics boards of Agilent newer models like the 1200 LC, 1260 RRLC, 7890 GC, 5975 MS? For older models, we can get it from Agilent website under illustrated parts breakdown.

Thanks.
MitchHowell wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the service manual or part number for spare parts and electronics boards of Agilent newer models like the 1200 LC, 1260 RRLC, 7890 GC, 5975 MS? For older models, we can get it from Agilent website under illustrated parts breakdown.

Did you look for pdf files on the ChemStation CD ?
Not in the Chemstation CD. Thanks for recommendation.
I know this post is now 6 years old (just read this post today), but it is an example of why customers are not best equipped to service these degasser modules. This post left me sad as I know we could have professionally repaired your degasser in just 1-2 business days for a tiny fraction of the amount you ended up spending. Most HPLC degassers that we repair cost far less than refurbished replacements. Please leave it to the professional service companies like Chiralizer Services to quickly diagnose and repair these systems (not Agilent, as they do not "repair" these, they just swap parts, similar to what you did, at great cost). We repair to the component level so you do not get overcharged buying one whole module when all you need is to have one small part fixed.

When you initially reported that the vacuum chambers were flooded, that is when I knew that your degasser was damaged and replacing the pump or chambers alone would not fix it. When one or more vacuum chambers are ruptured or leaking, the mobile phase leaks into and contaminates the tubing, vacuum valve, vacuum pump and vacuum sensor. This results in damage to the entire system and results in contamination of ALL of your mobile phase while the degasser in still plumbed to your HPLC system. If you just replace one or more parts without dealing with the internal contamination, then you will simply destroy the replacement parts you install and not solve the problem. This is because the original cause of the problem was not diagnosed and understood AND, most importantly, because the system was not carefully cleaned and each component tested to determine the extent of the damage. Only then can the correct repairs be made and the system re-connected to the HPLC system.

A few related Notes:
(1) Leaving the broken degasser module connected to the HPLC may result in contamination of ALL mobile phase running through your system (if it is leaking inside the degasser and washing out all kinds of material that was never designed to come into contact with liquid). YOUR HPLC column is now contaminated and results are no longer validated. If your degassing is connected to a LC-MS system, well then your source is now contaminated too (we have seen several MS system with all kinds of mysterious peaks whose source was unknown until we pointed this out to the clients and then they disconnected the degasser (sent it to us for cleaning and repair) and starting decontaminating their MS system.
(2) Never replace HPLC degasser vacuum tubing with "auto parts store" windshield washer tubing! Never, that is a sure way to contaminate your degasser and thus, contaminate your mobile phase. Buy and use the correct type of ultra-pure grade internal vacuum tubing for this application. We can offer you the same or better quality tubing than what Agilent supplies for about half the price they charge. A small price to pay for the correct part and maintaining your system's overall quality.
(3) If you see that any vacuum chamber has an internal leak (see when there is liquid or buffer salts in one of the drain pans), please send the whole unit for repair. Do not just replace the vacuum chamber or vacuum pump as the entire system probably has damage and should be professionally cleaned first and evaluated before replacing any parts. The tiny cost to have the system professionally diagnosed will more than pay for itself in only having the services that are actually needed done, and not paying for parts or entire degasser which you do not need.

For professional HPLC Degasser testing and servicing (all brands) with fast turnaround (1-2 business days), very low prices, factory parts, professional quality work and a warranty on services, please refer to this link [http://www.chiralizer.com/hplc-degasser-repair.html ].
This forum is for helping people not scaring them and plugging your business.
Japanese made degassers (serial # starting with JP) are the most failed modules for the 1100/1200 product line.
They are also the easiest to fix with common sense.
A red light does not always mean its "broken" It can mean that 2 of your lines are dry (C and D) and the vacuum pump hasnt reached its require torr within 6 minutes. Fix: Purge and prime C and D and your vacuum pump no longer works 50% harder. Or take cover off and replace cracked tubing (80% of red light errors)
If there is one module a regular customer can fix, its a degasser. Leaking solvent inside chamber is rare
"Japanese made degassers (serial # starting with JP) are the most failed modules for the 1100/1200 product line." LOL!

Your lack of practical knowledge is evident in your post. We see a lot of equipment flippers add their 2 cents to these discussions who could also benefit from some formal training before doing so. "JP" degassers are bad? Really, what kind of nonsense is that? The Japanese manufacturer >80% of the world supply of degasser modules used by most of the major instrument vendors and they are not faulty. Agillent and other companies continue to use Japanese degassers and other products in many of their instruments. Do you have some issues with the Japanese? Most observed instrument problems relate to a lack of knowledge and/or getting bad advice. That bad info often results in the end-user spending far more money than needed (exactly as described in this thread. Lots of bad advice. We are trying to stop that from happening). We have professionally serviced thousands of these degasser modules for both the instrument manufacturers and end-users over the past decades and when there is a problem with one, it rarely is something simple such as loose tubing. The parts inside these modules were designed to last ~ 5 years on average, so it is normal to see a whole series of failures when they are older. If you just replace one part, such as the vac pump, w/o correctly diagnosing the real problem, then your nice new vac pump is quickly turned into a door stop. In the above example, the poster initially stated that the vac chamber(s) had liquid inside. By definition that means the system is now: contaminated; the vac pump has been damaged; the vac sensor may be damaged and the internal vac tubing is contaminated. Vac systems are supposed to be dry, not wet. When liquid enters, everything needs to be professionally checked, then serviced. Sometimes it can be cleaned up and the specific broken part replaced. Other times, other parts are severely damaged too, requiring their replacement or refurbishing. Just like you, customers do not have the correct tools or knowledge to know how to correctly evaluate these modules. This is not an insult, but a simple fact that very few people have had the professional training and experience needed to work on the many different models and circuits used. There are many variations, changes and specialized proprietary parts involved. Even the instrument manufacturers no longer provide this training to their own service engineers. Instead, they are only trained to replace entire modules or groups of parts. This process saves the manufacturer money, but is often more costly to the customer.

The three items that I listed as advice will prove very helpful to others and save them a great deal of money no matter which company they use to service their degasser module. The mistakes made can be avoided by having the system correctly diagnosed when a problem is first observed.

BTW: A RED light does mean its broken. Two dry chambers should not turn the RED status light on. A properly functioning 1100/1200 degasser will be able to handle that, but damage may occur to the system over time from pervaporation. Liquid inside vacuum chambers is far more common than you think. The initial set-point timing circuit is 8 minutes, not 6 minutes too. Please do not contribute advice in areas that you can add to the knowledge presented. We are after all trying to help others solve these problems at the lowest cost and basic knowledge of keeping liquids out of vacuum systems.
25 posts Page 2 of 2