Agilent 1100 communication problem

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

11 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm currently having problems setting up communications between Chemstation and the Agilent 1100. I see bidirectional communication, ie packets sent and recieved, but chemstation doesn't seem to recognize the installed modules. here is the logfile reading i get:

01/30/10 16:18:39 PM
Status: BOOTP Request received from hardware address: 0001E638B358
Status: BOOTP Request finished processing at outer most layer

it looks like everything is fine, however, chemstation reports that each module i have setup is improperly configured (i cant remember exact error message). does this problem sound familiar to anyone? I know I haven't provided much detailed information of the problem, but we can start from here! thanks

The Agilent is very sensitive to the order in which you turn things on.

You first turn the computer on and wait until everything has settled down.

Only then do you turn on all the modules that you are intending to use. You wait until you see the message you got below on the BOOT screen.

Only then do you click on the Chemstation software and load it up.

For some reason on Agilent GCs, the order of turning things on doesn't seem to matter-so it's easy to get confused if your lab has both instruments.

Actually, I have a feeling that you are doing this correctly-otherwise you would not see the screen below....but I am not sitting in front of the machine at the moment to check.

Is this the first time you've tried to get Chemstation to communicate with this instrument? Which version of Chemstation are you running? Are all your modules running the same firmware revision?

In case this is the first time you're trying to run Chemstation with this instrument, refer to the following:

http://www.chem.agilent.com/Library/use ... Manual.pdf

thanks for the replies. although they didn't directly fix the problem they certainly pushed me in the direction of discovering the issue. During the initial installation of chemstation i designated a particular ip address for the instrument. during that time I was adjusting communication parameters, etc. in the shuffle i reassigned address to the hplc and computer and neglected to modify the ip in chemstation's configuration editor. I was getting sporadic communication, now that i fixed all ip assignments they communicate beautifully! thanks for all your help - *until next time* :)

Hi!
I am having a similar problem but in my case I do not get any messages on my CAG bootp server. I am using the default IP address given in the manual for my instrument and PC as it is not connected to any other network. Can anyone please tell me how to get my modules communicating with the PC?

Check your LAN board in the 1100 module and its manual - on some models there are dip switches to select default IP, assigned IP (can be set by telnet) or cag Bootp. Ensure the IP is correctly set.

You need to use cross LAN cable for direct connection to PC (for connection the switches and routers are more common the straight ones).

You need to disable the DHCP in the TCP/IP protocol of your computer LAN card and set a fixed IP adress (differing in the last digit group) and mask.

Use the Ping IP command from the command line prompt to ensure the module is communicating.

Please reffer to chapter 3.2 in

http://downloads.dataapex.com/documenta ... t-1100.pdf

Thank you. I realized the problem and checked the LAN card and all I had to do was switch off all the switches. Now it is working fine.
My problem is different there is a communication between computer and system modules but only pump modules that the software don't see it. How can I fix that? I checked CAN cables and pump power light is green!

Thanks in advance
I have an 1100 HPLC system that has been idle since 12/2020 and am trying to bring it back up. It was working perfectly when it was shut down. The HPLC powers up as well as the computer. The computer runs Windows 7 with the last version of ChemStation that will not run on any more recent Windows versions. ChemStation will not recognize or control the system. Checked other answers in this thread. All looks ok. Any ideas?
Robert Brandner
SMB Solutions
Serving Southern California and Nevada
Agilent 1100 is a great system.

State what version of software you use/need, and whether your communication to the modules is with a GPIB card/GPIB cables or through network cables/IP addresses.
Ditto that, also, be aware that there could well be some firmware issues that will need addressing as well.

Got a GameBoy controller with some RAM in it and a PCMCIA card to transfer firmware to should updates be needed?

The good news is that most or all of that firmware is freely available on the Agilent website. The bad news is that it can be tricky to shove into a component.

There's a free PC application that can do it if you prefer using Ethernet, or you can go via Gameboy and PCMCIA card, provided you have a reader for that on a PC...
Thanks,
DR
11 posts Page 1 of 1