Agilent 1100: Front door error

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have an error that says the front autosampler door is open when it is not. It ran fine for a few samples this morning and now when I am trying to run one more sample it wont let me run since it thinks the door is open.

I looked at the manual and it says:
- The sensor on the SLS or MTB board is defective.
• The door is bent or the magnet is misplaced/broken.

I have tried using a separate magnet and slowly running it along the outside of the door area to find the sensor but nothing changed. Also this is almost a brand new door since the hplc had a broken door when we first got it last september. I dont remember ever seeing a magnet in the door though.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have any tips? Is there a way to check if the problem is the SLS board or MTB board?
Hi - we had a problem that sounds similar and I have these notes on how we resolved it. Eventually we had to get a new autosampler anyway on different issue and I don't know if we had the same model as you but maybe this will help -

Attempted to perform maintenance. Maintenance prompt failed and software gave an error that says “cover is open” when it is closed. Checked door magnets. Rebooted system. Another failed maintenance prompt. called Agilent and customer service said to change “breaker switch” located at the back of instrument to 1,2,8 up and the rest (3-7) down. Switched breakers as advised, then rebooted system. (Note – black trays must not be in unit when calibration is occurring.) Maintenance prompt initiated. Performed needle realignment. Note: After successful needle realignment, type of sample tray resets. Make sure to change it back in the sequencer before testing. Also, had to move switches back to original positions of 4,5,6 up and rest down for the back switches after alignment.
GabeS wrote:
Hello,

I have an error that says the front autosampler door is open when it is not. It ran fine for a few samples this morning and now when I am trying to run one more sample it wont let me run since it thinks the door is open.

I looked at the manual and it says:
- The sensor on the SLS or MTB board is defective.
• The door is bent or the magnet is misplaced/broken.

I have tried using a separate magnet and slowly running it along the outside of the door area to find the sensor but nothing changed. Also this is almost a brand new door since the hplc had a broken door when we first got it last september. I dont remember ever seeing a magnet in the door though.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have any tips? Is there a way to check if the problem is the SLS board or MTB board?

The magnet is in the part of the door that is a semicircle at the point where it makes the 90 degree turn into the straight portion. The sensor is in the clear plastic part that shields the needle mechanicals at the very top. The sensor is connected with the very thin flat "wires" or ribbon type cable, looks transparent with thin flat copper strips embedded within it. If that ribbon get kinked and breaks a wire it will stop working and think the door is open. The sensor could also go bad though I have not had that problem yet. I don't remember those being difficult to replace, just have to find one which could be a problem since these are out of support, though Agilent may still have some on hand.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
3 posts Page 1 of 1