Repeat peak seen on right shoulder of peaks

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We have recently seen a peak on the right shoulder of our sugar peaks on our HPLC-RI.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks,

James.
Assuming no system or method changes this sounds like column death to me, try a new column or the reconditioning conditions suggested by the manufacturer (usually a backflush with multiple solvents in increasing strength before a long recondition at your method starting conditions)

also just check your mobile phase prep and reagents, without further details on what you are using i cant be certain but a small change in MP prep could result in peak shape deterioration (new shoulders or peak splitting, very bad tailing etc)
I believe I have seen this after working on the HPLC and not mating my connections properly thus creating a void space. I also have replaced my guard column to some success.
If the column has a high number of injections it can develop void space due to the break down of the packing material. If reversing the column solves the problem, it can be this, but will soon return as the packing slowly shifts to the opposite end of the column and the void returns at the entrance end.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
4 posts Page 1 of 1