[RID-20A] What's the difference between purge and balance?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

Can someone tell me:
1. What's the difference between purge and balance functions present in RID-20A?

2. Which of the two functions should I use to balance the baseline? (make it flat)

3. Which fluid does RID-20A use for purging? The mobile phase? The air?

4. Do I need to use the purge button on the rest of the HPLC while purging the RID-20A? Or do I leave the rest of the machine with the pumps on?

The baseline at the moment flows and ebbs even when nothing has been injected. I was instructed to push the purge and/or balance function buttons present on the RID-20A but I'm not sure what they do specifically in context of RID-20A.
Purge function moves a valve and directs your mobile phase into the reference side of your flow cell while balance electronically matches the signal output of your flow cell's sample side to that of the reference side.

Use purge after things have had plenty of time to equilibrate - leave it open for a few minutes before you start your run and when you're ready to start the run, close the purge (wait a little) and then balance the detector before hitting "go".
Thanks,
DR
2 posts Page 1 of 1