Column Preference?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
I am looking at different HPLC columns from Agilent, Waters, Phenomenex and Thermo. Do you guys have any preference on vendors when selecting small molecule analytical columns or UPLC columns? Is lifespan, sensitivity, resolution better between vendors?
Thanks!
bull0121 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am looking at different HPLC columns from Agilent, Waters, Phenomenex and Thermo. Do you guys have any preference on vendors when selecting small molecule analytical columns or UPLC columns? Is lifespan, sensitivity, resolution better between vendors?
Thanks!

In my experience, columns from the big vendors are going to be very similar. Preference usually comes down to previous working relationships/use, vendor contracts, pricing deals, and recommendations from colleagues who are performing the same or close to the same method as you.

If your lab doesn't have a vendor preference, I'd ask someone performing the same analyses as you, and also see what columns are referenced in relevant literature.

As my mama told me, "you better shop around." 8)
"Have you tried explaining it to the rubber duck?"
I tend to be much more concerned with the type of stationary phase than with the vendor. If working with C8 or C18 phases, I go for phases with minimal silanols, moderate to high carbon load depending on the molecules involved.

All of the vendors are good at packing their columns these days.
Thanks,
DR
Hello,

I agree with the other posters' replies that most columns are of sufficient quality nowadays, especially for standard applications such as reversed phase HPLC.

I would like to add YMC and Supelco to the list of vendors to consider. We have been quite happy with their columns.
4 posts Page 1 of 1