HPLC Recommendations

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello-

I'm looking for recommendations on HPLC instrumentation for a high volume lab. We currently have Agilent 1100s DADs, but they're getting outdated and it's been difficult getting one in that works correctly. Which HPLC do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
The UltraMate 3000 UPLCs are nice. They have a rotatory tray that's nice for loading samples, but limited to three trays (54 samples per tray unless you swap it out for a 96 or 384 tray). The software packaged with the UltraMate is Chromeleon. I liked Chromeleon because the software is very robust with a lot of settings and you can modify methods files and batches in real-time but the learning curve to the software was high. Maintenance was simple but the sample needle had to be checked for bubbles a bit too often.

My current UPLCs are the Shimatsu LC2050C (UV) and LC2050C 3D (DAD/PDA). I'm just starting to use them so I'm learning a lot about them. There are four sample trays which is nice with 54 samples per tray unless you swap them out (96/384), but the sample trays can fall to the floor if you pull the trays out too far loading samples in the back I sadly found out. Maintenance is uber easy. I'm still getting used to the LabSolutions software. One big difference between Chromeleon (CM) and LS is CM would allow me to make a standard curve using one vials and different injection amounts down to (something like) 0.078 uL but LS will only sample down to 0.675 uL. The LS software is not as verbose as CM, but maybe I won't need it. I had a shutdown method file for CM, but I'm still trying to figure out how to configure a shut down method for LS. It's not straightforward.

They both handle high volume samples. I just finished 1788 samples in 384 trays, on the LC2050C 3D with no issues. I've run similar volume on the UltraMates too.

Good Luck!!
2 posts Page 1 of 1