Charged Aerosol Detector Contamination

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen an orange/brown oily substance coming from the exhaust tube out of a CAD? It is a thick substance and is only seen on the outlet, the inlet tube is clear with no trace of the contaminant. We checked the purity of the N2 source and it is 99.9%, does anyone have any other theories what this could be?
Hi, Chromacolor,

I have no idea, but we have the same issue with one of our two CA detectors (both Thermo Fisher Corona Veo). Ours isn't brown, it's more yellow-orange, very clear, and thick. We put in a request for help with Thermo but haven't heard anything back aside from an acknowledgement that they were investigating. If you learn anything, I'd love to know what it is.

Best,

Robert
RHWoodman wrote:
Hi, Chromacolor,

I have no idea, but we have the same issue with one of our two CA detectors (both Thermo Fisher Corona Veo). Ours isn't brown, it's more yellow-orange, very clear, and thick. We put in a request for help with Thermo but haven't heard anything back aside from an acknowledgement that they were investigating. If you learn anything, I'd love to know what it is.

Best,

Robert

Hi Robert,

What type of analysis do you run on the CAD detectors? DO you happen to run lipids?
chromacolor wrote:
RHWoodman wrote:
Hi, Chromacolor,

Best,

Robert

Hi Robert,

What type of analysis do you run on the CAD detectors? DO you happen to run lipids?

Also, what types of MP do you typically run with? Do you happen to know what year the CAD was purchased? I am trying to determine a common cause that may help us identify the cause.
Most likely this comes from your air supply line. If you don't have filtering system or traps, this might be coming from your compressor.
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
Are you running lipids with THF or ipa as your mobile phase?
chromacolor wrote:
chromacolor wrote:
RHWoodman wrote:
Hi, Chromacolor,

Best,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Also, what types of MP do you typically run with? Do you happen to know what year the CAD was purchased? I am trying to determine a common cause that may help us identify the cause.

Hi, Chromacolor,

I apologize for the late reply. We use the Corona Veo CAD for running low M.W. PEG derivatives. Our mobile phases are typically acetonitrile and water with 0.1 vol% in each. Our nitrogen is supplied either by a nitrogen generator from Peak Scientific or a nitrogen cylinder (grade 4.8 or higher) from Praxair.

Best,

Robert
BostonFSE wrote:

We were running with different MPs including a combo of IPA, ACN, MeOH, and water containing TEA, TFA, and FA in different combos.
BostonFSE wrote:

Yes
BostonFSE wrote:

Yes
10 posts Page 1 of 1