C18 column for semivolatile flavors max separation power

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am just getting back into HPLC after a 10 year gc/ms hiatus.

I am tasked with developing a reverse phase method for semivolatile flavors that run the gamut from maltol, trimethyl thiazole on the polar side to 5-methyl-2-phenyl-2-hexenal on the nonpolar side. I have a brand new Agilent 1260.

Most of the references I have are with old fashioned 25cm 4.6mm 4-5um particle size. Aside from being a pain the get into the column compartment with the filter they seem so outdated

I am looking at getting a 15cm solid core column. It looks like I have a lot of room to push the pressure higher. I am not sure if I want to go 2.1 or 3.0mm. I probably want a 100% aqueous stable column as I need to start at 100% aqueous for some of my analytes. Particle size it looks like they go down to 1.7 to 1.9um.

The samples could be dirty. Some of the stuff I run is just flavors on various carbohydrates while some are fininshed products are pretty dirty like protein drinks and the like.

I would welcome any suggestions. Plan is to get a column and run a long slow gradient with water/acid probably 0.1% formic acid from 0 to 80% or so CH3CN.
I haven't done too much of this work, however I do have a recommendation when you do get a recommended column. If you are dealing with compounds that are coming from a protein power/drink and are starting in 100% AQ conditions, to save your column you should certainly install a pre-column filter or guard column. Obviously, you'll be filtering all of your material and injecting in mobile-phase conditions, but just in case to save you from precipitation and column fouling, I'd invest in some column protection (along with the protection from filtration). Do NOT run the dirty protein drink as is or you will be running through columns (and potentially other parts) like crazy.
yes we have a in line guard cartridge.
3 posts Page 1 of 1