Ideal column selection.

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I was hoping for some advice. I am currently looking for a new column for 2 new projects. One is for the separation/quantification of all the B vitamins and (annoyingly) sodium ascorbate. The second if for short chain fatty acids and other similar compounds, I would need decent separations of structural isomers (e.g. butyric and iso-butyric acid).

Do people think there is a column that will successfully work for both?
your best choice for analysis is mixed-mode columns. Here are few applications:
https://helixchrom.com/compounds/niacin ... dal-column

There are no short fatty acids, but if you use pH around 4-5, they will be ionized and retained. The most important question is what is your intended detection technique? I don't know if you need to quantify sodium, but UV (alone) might not work well.
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
Short chain fatty acids would be better to use GC-FID or MSD. They make Free fatty acid columns or you could do a headspace esterfication like I do.

If you insist on doing it on the HPLC I assume anion exchange with a conductivity detector would probably work best?
3 posts Page 1 of 1