color remediation chromatography column for clear oil

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
What’s a solid recipe for chromatography to make oil turn clear? Using in order bottom to top DE, (???) bleaching clay?, silicate 60A, activated alumina. Running biomass in a closed loop system!!!

I’d like to find a solid recipe that will make clear oil every time I use it. How much of what would you use to do this??? Can be any combination of anything that’s safe for consumption.
Hi Cmb2120,

Take this advice with a large grain of salt since I have done nothing with any of your components or oils in my brief history, however, if you want solid answers and procedures, I think it would help everyone if you described in more detail the exact specifications you are looking for. Some questions that would help you if you answered them would be:
1: what exact oil are you trying to purify here?
There is a massive range of oils (and it seems you're using an edible oil (or at least your purpose is consumption related). But this could be anything between a crude stream from oil well all the way to a tincture or herbal oil like those found in the cannabis industry.
2: What exactly do you mean by oil is clear?
I mean, clearly we understand that you want your product to be a clear and pure extract, but what IS it? Is this a single type of oil you're extracting-- I assume whatever is making it brown/muddy is of a similar oily nature (I could certainly be wrong) and may be harder to separate from the desired product.
3: What is the purpose of the clear oil?
It seems like you're trying to get an oil from some sort of plant extract (?), and you have previously gotten this "clear" oil before/have a reference, so exactly what is it and what is it being used for? Are you going to try and clean this oil again and separate it further? Are you using this in some sort of food-related process? How have you been getting this clear oil prior to coming to the forum? Why has it suddenly stopped working (or was it simply not working up to your expectations/it was inconsistent in it's products)?
4. How much (mass wise) of this oil do you need?
This can radically change the methods you want to remove impurities and could, theoretically, save you a lot of money if you're planning on synthesizing/purifying lots of this oil in the future.

Try and answer those questions and it may give others in the community better ideas on how to help you! Sorry I couldn't be of more help-- I wish you luck in finding it though.
Do you just want the oil to be clear or do you want it to be colorless??
3 posts Page 1 of 1