UPLC: Acquity vs. 1290 - Pro/Cons

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

57 posts Page 4 of 4

Janjena,

I do not understand the reason for your disappointment. In the other thread you asked whether or not someone had hands-on experience with that particular (Shimadzu) equipment/system. What would you expect people to answer if they didn’t have that experience?
If the question is: Do we appreciate more diversity on the market, then my personal answer would be: Yes! Competition is one of the main driving forces in innovation. So, let them come!
Also, if you know more about it than we know, then why don’t you share some info on the unique features that the system offers in comparison to the other 2 brands, you mentioned?

Best Regards
Learn Innovate and Share

Dancho Dikov

Before purchasing a U-HPLC, I suggest reading this very nice article (there are many others like it):

High-Throughput Gradient Optimization by Easily Minimizing Delay Volume
J. W. Henderson, J.W. Long, C. Woodward
Agilent Technologies

http://www.chem.agilent.com/Library/app ... 6665EN.pdf

I believe semi-micro LC (and 3um) is sufficient for a vast majority of applications.
And a small minority of applications will require U-HPLC.

Hi every body,
I got the same case as hollow. Our laboratory got plan to buy a new UPLC system. And till now I still not got the conclusion between Agilent infinity 1290 and the acquity UPLC. Waters sales rep. also inquire me a new system UPLC that they call Acquity UPLC H-Class.
Have anyone ever use this Acquity UPLC H-Class, what's the different from Acquity UPLC in routine working. Does it really better in the performance than Acquity UPLC? How about if it compare to agilent infinity 1290?
Have anyone ever try that infinity 1290 is more sensitive than acquity UPLC? Do you have the data?

Thanks.
Herman
QA F&B SIF

The H-Class is more designed for HPLC and UPLC whereas the Acquity is more an HPLC sytem that can run HPLC if required.

the systems are very similar, the injection system and sample managers are the biggest differences.

The H-Class apparently will not give as good results on UPLC runs shorter than 5 minutes but on anything longer there should be no discernable difference.

With regards to the Agilent v Acquity: I have no experience of the Agilent so can't compare the 2, however, we've been using an Acquity for about a year and are very satisfied with it.

I just ordered two h-class systems. The only real difference, according to the sales rep, is that the H-class offers four solvent channels and switches back to low pressure mixing as a result. Due to four channels and the use of a proportionating valve, the dwell of a H-class has jumped to 400 uL. Other than that, an H-class is exactly the same as the traditional Acquity system.

Tomorrow the analytica trdefair starts in munich. I will probably be there to find out about the different systems. Waters and Shimadzu have booths there but I think Agilent is only present through it's channel partners. Any suggestions, which can be considered most experienced in UHPLC?

The column oven on the Acquity H-class is much better than on the binary Acquity. I have asked why they can't make this oven compatible with the existing binary Acquity system, like the detectors that are interchangeable on either system.

If we all ask (as a community) then perhaps our wishes will come sooner?

just to finish this thread:

who would still have thought it, we finally got the approval done and orderd two (!) Acquity UPLCs :D (after now almost 3 years since the first invest request...)

The installation will take place by the end of the next month.

Thank you for all your inputs.

PS: feel free to continue this thread for discussing Pro and Cons of the different systems

May I ask what was the deciding factor? Did you happen to take a look at the Shimadzu/Agilent/Thermo systems? Thanks....

it wasn't really an evaluation of the whole UPLC market, it was more like a decision about if to continue with the two vendors strategy, we had decided three years ago, or if to switch to only one vendor.

Therefore we mainly judged only Waters and Agilent.

Finally the decision lead for the two vendors strategy and our lab goes on with Waters, whereas the other stays with Agilent (I think they will buy/allready ordered a 1290 as well, beside their newer 1200RR systems).

I think for our applications, both systems will be of comparable performance in daily use and for routine analysis most of the new methods should be able to run on the 1200RR as well.
So there were additional factors for our lab:

- I faced few problems with the existing Waters systems in the last 7 years I'm in this company now, and if I did, I always got fast, good and friendly support from Waters CH.

- I didn't want to change the CDS, and afaik the 1290 isn't yet supported by Empower2

- I like the fact, that the service eng. are "owned" by Waters and aren't just on a freelancer basis.

- the offer for the Acquity was better than the price for a similar 1290 configuration

- also a kind of "political" issue for the management, over the last three years we always requested the same system, so it doesn't look like we just always switched to the most recent system on the market (of course three years ago, the Acquity was still the only real UPLC system...)

Re:

Its being long time . Can you plz help us . Brain storming in Waters Links and knowledge base database there are no clues to clear the error.
Thanx

We are experiencing partial display on UPLC Control console. We are using Empower2 2154 with installed 1.65 ICS. MS FrameWorkNet 3.5v. It shows NOT CONNECTED with Red dot on both BSM,ASM also configured by DHCP,MAC address etc. Surprising thing is that our instrument activates Pump and autosampler works still showing not connected sign.
Plz guide from here. Its our first time with Acquity system
Thanks and Best regards

Hollow wrote:
it wasn't really an evaluation of the whole UPLC market, it was more like a decision about if to continue with the two vendors strategy, we had decided three years ago, or if to switch to only one vendor.

Finally the decision lead for the two vendors strategy and our lab goes on with Waters, whereas the other stays with Agilent (I think they will buy/allready ordered a 1290 as well, beside their newer 1200RR systems).

I think for our applications, both systems will be of comparable performance in daily use and for routine analysis most of the new methods should be able to run on the 1200RR as well.

- I faced few problems with the existing Waters systems in the last 7 years I'm in this company now, and if I did, I always got fast, good and friendly support from Waters CH.

- I didn't want to change the CDS, and afaik the 1290 isn't yet supported by Empower2

- I like the fact, that the service eng. are "owned" by Waters and aren't just on a freelancer basis.

- the offer for the Acquity was better than the price for a similar 1290 configuration

- also a kind of "political" issue for the management, over the last three years we always requested the same system, so it doesn't look like we just always switched to the most recent system on the market (of course three years ago, the Acquity was still the only real UPLC system...)

Re:

Its being long time . Can you plz help us . Brain storming in Waters Links and knowledge base database there are no clues to clear the error.
Thanx

We are experiencing partial display on UPLC Control console. We are using Empower2 2154 with installed 1.65 ICS. MS FrameWorkNet 3.5v. It shows NOT CONNECTED with Red dot on both BSM,ASM also configured by DHCP,MAC address etc. Surprising thing is that our instrument activates Pump and autosampler works still showing not connected sign.
Plz guide from here. Its our first time with Acquity system
Thanks and Best regards

Hollow wrote:

57 posts Page 4 of 4