Lamp failed - Surveyor PDA Plus

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

The deuterium lamp in the PDA is half-way through its life time (400 h). This equipment has not been used for while, when I started it and ran some samples.

Now, I start the PDA and the lamps turn ON, normally. After a few minutes, the deuterium lamp turns off and its status changes to "failed".

The PDA's manual does not really explain what causes a lamp to change its status to "failed". Is there anything I can try to fix it?

Thank you.
First try to shut off pda and reconnect lamp. Maybe there is connection issue. If this doesn't help try to replace for new lamp, sometimes such production lamp defect can issue after half life... If new lamp still not solve problem it is power supply.
Kind regards,
Ivan Styskin

LCCO Biotech
I've got the same issue. (exact the same :shock: )... Any solution was found?
Alright... I'll try to disassemble the unit to refresh contacts.
The lamp has contacts only on the PCB. Their movement did nothing. Replacing the lamp with a new one brought everything back to normal.
The old lamp lasted only 303 hours (albeit for 16 years).
Has the deuterium inside decayed? :lol:
Yes , the deuterium gas slowly escapes from the glass envelope over time.
Agree^^ 100%.
D2 lamps do not age well. Running the lamp just speeds it up.
Thanks,
DR
6 posts Page 1 of 1