This or that Shimadzu system

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, fellow chromers!

Err, I mean, chromatography nerds :lol:

I am thinking of spending stupid amounts of money on my first HPLC system. There are two options in front of me:

#1 - ~$7,000 AUD
SPD-M10Avp UV/VIS photodiode array detector c20903602519
SCL-10Avp system controller 228-34350-38
LC workstation class-vp
LC-10ATvp solvent delivery module 228-39001-38
SIL-10ADvp auto injector 228-39005-38
Matcom systems computer with class-VP 990706-02 2-2ss dongle
Alltech 590 degasser
(manuals, leads, etc)

#2 - ~$8,000 AUD
CTO-10A column oven
SPD-10 UV-VIS detector
LC-10AD liquid chromatograph dual gradient pump
SCL-10A system controller
SIL-10A auto injector

I'm thinking the former will be a much better newbie system for me because it's a complete system and comes with a crummy old computer which would probably get me up and running in no time. I run Ubuntu on my current machine and getting obscure peripherals to talk to it is often a test of my patience and purpose in life ..

What do y'all think?
What do you'll think? Is it worth sacrificing the column oven in #2 to get a all-in-one system #1?
Hi Sha256,

Firstly, purchasing a system or column should depend on the job that you require it to perform. So, what is your intended purpose for using the Shimadzu system? Secondly, I would definitely take into consideration the necessity of a column oven. If you desire consistent peak retentions, then you need a column oven (or a room/column that does not change temperature over the day). If you would like another chromatographic tool for separation, then temperature may be that variable. If you're involved with separating a complex mixture, temperature can surely change the retention, or order, of a variety of matrices. However, it is truly up to what you decide the instrument's purpose to be.

Have a nice day,
Tyler Smith.
$AUD? I see you're in Oz, like myself... As mentioned just before, what will be a better config to go for will depend pretty heavily on what you want to do with it. If you want to chat LC, shoot me an email at wss.ion.trap@gmail.com and I might be able to give you a few pointers.
you can get column oven separately off ebay for peanuts at all times

frankly, both system seem to be fairly expensive, given they are no longer supported. for such money you should have no problem getting 20 series, given you look hard enough - the benefit is mostly that it's both supported and the software ain't old crap.

overall, 10 series is crazy reliable, it's just that I wouldn't touch that old SW with a 10ft pole anymore. not really made to run on modern computers.
4 posts Page 1 of 1