Analysis of 1-Vinylpyrrolidin-2-one in PVP sample

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Recently I encounter broad peak (hump) in the sample chromatogram during Analysis of 1-Vinylpyrrolidin-2-one in PVP(Povidone) sample. The broad peak(hump) is interfering with the peak of interest. I was wondering if a guard column could help to filter off this broad peak(hump).

Anyone have experience in this test and can help me on this?
Hi Limjunl,

I'm not familiar with the PVP sample, however I can tell you that adding a guard column will not do you much good. Installing a guard column is usually done to protect columns from injected, insoluble/particulate material that can build up and occupy spaces on your column so that your resolution does not decrease or your HPLC being gunked up and stuck. If you would install a guard column, it would be the same phase as your column, and would interact with your analytes pretty identically. Thusly, it would not stop this contaminant/impurity. I would suggest changing your selectability, whether that be from your mobile phase, column, column temperature, etc. in order to find a better condition that is apt at separating the both of these compounds (?). If you could provide some more details about your specific chromatographic conditions, you'll probably receive more help (from someone more experienced than I) as well as better applicable help.
Have a nice day,
Tyler Smith.
The best way is flush back the precolumn. See the older USP method.
https://www.usp.org/sites/default/files ... vidone.pdf
The best way is insert a switching valve between the precolumn and the analytical column. After the vinylpirrolidone eluated from the guard column switch it out from the analytical line, and flush back a second washing pump. The method requested a six port two position valve. The connection drawing can be found on the net .
3 posts Page 1 of 1