De-gasser (G1379A) powers on, no status indicator light.

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, first post, hopefully not my last.

Inherited an HPLC machine that has had regular annual service, but has (recently? who knows, I only got here 4 months ago) had gas bubble trouble. The service tech said we probably needed new vacuum chambers. Opened the machine up and re-sealed the chambers (cleaned them out, cleaned buildup off the seals, re-set everything), closed it up and powered it on, but now there's no status indicator light after I turn the unit on.

To be honest I'm not sure if the status indicator light was working before hand, but the pump definitely isn't staying on after the initial 8-12 seconds of noise it makes.

Is it circuitry that is fried, or could a bad vacuum pump cause no status lights to come on? (it isn't the optical transfer unit, I opened the machine to confirm everything lined up, and even when open I get no LED output from any of the 3 LEDS)

Thanks for taking the time to read a post from a new poster.
Misc Comments that may help you:

As it is a model G1379A, 99.99 % chance it has serious damage inside. The fact that you cleaned out and "re-sealed" the chambers, is also troubling as such services do not apply to the factory chambers. These require professional service to diagnose their condition and potential for repair. Please do not spend money on replacement chambers (even Agilent will provide the wrong part #'s for them as the correct ones were discontinued many years ago).

So-called "annual service" skips the vacuum degasser module. They may place a "sticker" on it because it turns on, but most likely it is due for service.

The lack of any lit up STATUS LED after ten minutes from power up usually means: (a) The status pipe is broken or missing from the module (third party service providers often break them); OR (b) the circuit is damaged/mis-adjusted or LED's broken; (c) the vacuum level is at the correct level (normal operation). However, it is NOT wise to troubleshoot these modules based on just the color of the Status light for this module (though Yellow or Red are always bad for the G1379A). Professional tools and equipment are needed (plus experience) to correctly diagnose them. Agilent does not "service" them, they sell replacement modules and parts only (which will cost you far more than you can imagine, if you go that route).

The G1379A usually last 2-3 years before requiring service. They are very delicate modules and as they wear, they introduce contamination into the HPLC flow path. Add it to the SOP for regular HPLC maintenance to have it sent out for professional testing every few years so you are aware of its actual condition.

Troubleshooting INFO and tips can e found at this link: https://www.hplctools.com/agilent_degas ... ooting.htm

Professional Testing and Service Info can be found at this link: http://www.chiralizer.com/hplc-degasser-repair.html
Several times we simply purchased less-expensive aftermarket degassers for use with our Agilent HPLC systems. Our systems had zero "feedback" to the software from the degasser module, so everything worked seamlessly.

Some budget cycles, there were funds for capital spending but less for repairs...
3 posts Page 1 of 1