Part of ferrule stuck - how to get out?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

Recently, I got part of a plastic ferrule stuck in metal threading. It broke off while I was unscrewing it. Here is a link to an image of the issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iUl3JOYL3FbPsRjzBwT3cyETmDinwXzo/view?usp=sharing

I can't seem to get it out - I've tried poking in there with sharp, pointy objects, but this only seems to make it stuck further in (the opening is very small).

Does anyone have any suggestions? One of my colleagues suggested trying to melt it.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.
Try to use something like a small two-teeth fork or a flat-blade screw driver to unscrew the ferrule.
it's really easy, and a combination of what your colleague said, and the last reply.
Heat the end of a flat-bladed screwdriver until it's hot enough to melt Peek. Stick it into the broken end of the fitting to melt a groove. Let it cool a couple of seconds. Now you have a broken fitting with a neat screwdriver slot in the end, and you can simply unscrew it with the screwdriver.
Make sure you do this in private, and don't tell anyone how you did it. You will be regarded as a highly-skilled magician for ever.
lmh wrote:
it's really easy, and a combination of what your colleague said, and the last reply.
Heat the end of a flat-bladed screwdriver until it's hot enough to melt Peek. Stick it into the broken end of the fitting to melt a groove. Let it cool a couple of seconds. Now you have a broken fitting with a neat screwdriver slot in the end, and you can simply unscrew it with the screwdriver.
Make sure you do this in private, and don't tell anyone how you did it. You will be regarded as a highly-skilled magician for ever.

I have done this before and it works well. On the other hand, if it is just the tip of the fitting, below the threads, try using a dental pick, which looks like a tiny tapered drill bit to screw into the piece of plastic like a corkscrew and then pull it out. Restek sells these, though normally used with GC ferrules but will also work with PEEK ferrules.

https://www.restek.com/en/products/acce ... rules/443/
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
4 posts Page 1 of 1