sodium dodecyl sulfate in mobile phase

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Is it common to see foaming in mobile phase when using sodium dodecyl sulfate in the preparation?
Especially if that mobile phase is still 100% aqueous !!! Sodium dodecyl sulfate is a great anionic surfactant !
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
Especially if that mobile phase is still 100% aqueous !!! Sodium dodecyl sulfate is a great anionic surfactant !

Would you suggest the SDS solution needs to settle for long before adjusting the pH?
Mouleyre wrote:
Would you suggest the SDS solution needs to settle for long before adjusting the pH?

There is a method for tranexamic acid related substances in Eur. Ph. with the following MP preparation:

Dissolve 11.0 g of anhydrous sodium dihydrogen phosphate R in 500 mL of water R and add 5 mL of triethylamine R and 1.4 g of sodium laurilsulfate R. Adjust to pH 2.5 with dilute phosphoric acid R and dilute to 600 mL with water R. Add 400 mL of methanol R and mix.

SDS makes the buffer solution foaming, but this is not critical. No precautions are needed to adjust the pH of this solution.
I have visions of someone trying this on a ELSD or CAD. Of course it would kill the detector because it's non-volatile, but just imagine what the lab would look like after half an hour or so...
And once the methanol is added, suds should be a non-issue.

I might determine accurately how much phosphoric acid I needed to add, then after that first time add the phosphoric acid by weight or volume for subsequent batches.
With our mixed-mode columns you have ion-pairing reagent attached to the surface. Nothing is going to ever foam :).
Contact me if you would like to chat about any of your applications which uses ion-pairing reagents and how to convert them to methods fully compatible with MS, ELSD, CAD or UV.
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
7 posts Page 1 of 1