Empower 2 vs 3

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Could anyone please offer some information (e.g. links) about the differences between Empower 2 and 3 software for HPLC as I have not used the latter one before.

I've also tried to find the pdf download of the Empower 3 user manual (pdf) online without any leads..

Thank you :P
There are a few differences between Empower 2 and 3, the main ones being that you can create process-only sample sets in Empower 3 by combining different injections and re-arranging raw data as well as combining the number of injections or splitting them for example a 5 injection sample line can be split into 5 different lines. Also, Empower 3 allows the use of a blank injection in your sample set to calculate signal to noise.
Different system policies exist in Empower 3, also, such as forcing ID numbers in view filters for clarity. You can monitor a live injection in review in Empower 3 by selecting Plot< Update Display, too. Global Project View in Empower 3 allows review and comparison of project info like channels and results across all projects and not on a single project level.
The main features such as creating and using custom fields, as well as data acquisition and processing is pretty much identical to Empower 2. There is a good online course offered by Waters called "Transitioning from Empower 2 to Empower 3" which you may find useful.
Im surprised anyone is still using Empower 2, to be honest. I was under the impression Waters stopped supporting it 2 years ago! Are you a small operation or research lab?
Thank you for all of your detailed information about the differences between the two software.

Is it possible to find a free version of the course from Waters that you have suggested as I could only find the one that required payment.

Can you also please help me find a link to the user manual for Empower 3 (I'm working at a small private lab looking to finally step up to the Empower 3 software from 2).

If you google "whats new in Empower 3" and "things you forgot you knew about Empower 3", you get some very detailed slidepacks about the features of Empower 3. Also, if you google Empower 3 software data acquisition guide you will get the guide but its practically identical to Empower 2 guide. And the creation and use of custom fields are the same in Empower 3.
One very useful addition in Empower 3 is the Purity component tab which allows different entries for purity for all components in each standard injection of your sample set. And that online course isnt free im afraid but it only comes to about 100 dollars.
Thank you so much for all of your help :)

I feel better and more confident with moving onto Empower 3 by having more information about the software.

I just wish there were more online courses (preferably free) out there that offer some more guidance to HPLC/GC software (not just Empower).

5 posts Page 1 of 1