Agilent Instant Pilot - USB Drive Requirements

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
I am having trouble getting a 4 GB thumb drive to work on my instant pilot. I have tried to load firmware updates on the drive and they are not recognized. I’ve also tried using the instant pilot to format the drive and get a not supported error.

Does anyone know what the USB drive requirements are?
You may just have a bad drive. 5 GB flash drives are dirt cheap (at least here in the US -- like $15 for 3 drives from Amazon). If this were my problem, the first thing I would do is try a different drive.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
From Agilent: "Since USB-memory sticks may vary from vendor to vendor or from type to type,
incompatibilities can occur. In general, USB-memory sticks from Sandisk and Kingston
should work. The USB-memory sticks must be FAT-16 formatted and without encryption.
Use Agilent USB-Memory Stick Kit G4208-68700.
NOTE In case the USB Flash Disk is not recognized by the Instant Pilot, use the operating system
of your PC (Windows XP) to re-format the USB Flash Disk. Use as File System FAT (NOT
FAT32).

There could be a max USB size too, but I dont see that mentioned. If reformatting does not work, I would try a smaller stick. I do all firmware from lab advisor though.
Much appreciated, I’ll give this a shot.
I found on another site that Agilent stick is only 256mb
Update: Got it to work

I ordered an old (new) Sandisk Cruzer 128MB drive and it worked. Seems like the size of the 4GB drive was the issue.

I formatted it in FAT on my PC but was prompted by the Instant Pilot that the format wasn't support and it asked me to format it, which I did, and it worked fine after that.
6 posts Page 1 of 1