Agilent 1220 Vs Ultimate 3000

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, I want to buy an analytical HPLC for my lab and budget is a littile tight due to COVID-19. I am based in Australia and I've got quotes for three systems

Agilent 1220 Quat pump, autosampler, column oven, and UV detector (not DAD) with 3 yrs of complete service including yearly checks for Au$30,000 (~ US$ 21,500).

Thermo Ultimate 3000 Quat pump, autosampler, column oven, and UV detector (not DAD) with 1 yr warranty for Au$33,000 (~ US$ 23,500).

Shimadzu Nexera Quat pump, autosampler, NO column oven, and UV detector (not DAD) with 1 yr warranty for Au$28,000 (~ US$ 20,000).

Which one do you all think is a good system I can spend around A$30,000 but if I can get one for cheaper that would be better. I think after reading the forum, I should as Agilent for a better price.

Please help!
If you can, try to get hands on testing with the software. The hardware is close as far as durability and performance, but if the software just doesn't feel intuitive then you will be frustrated when using it.

I was always confused by Thermo's software but found Agilent's easy to use. Shimadzu is not so bad to use either. Other people find Thermo's software easy to use and are confused by Agilent's. It depends on how you organize your work and what software you have had experience with in the past and other things that each person does differently that makes the difference which one you are comfortable with.

If you go Agilent and get the 1220, make sure it has the Active Inlet Valve, I think that has been made an option instead of standard on the newer ones and it really makes a difference.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
A bit more info needed.

What is the purpose of this HPLC? Research support? Quality control? Stability testing? Will you be developing your own methods?

Is this your first HPLC? If not, what are the other brands your have? What is your current CDS?

Waters' systems are out of your budget?

Anyway, no column oven = no buy. Temperature is an important factor in LC separations so not having the control is a big handicap.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be buying a system without a PDA/DAD in 2020. Yes, it will be more expensive but unless you have a very specific use for the HPLC, I think it's a very useful feature.
DavidHPLC wrote:
In my opinion, you shouldn't be buying a system without a PDA/DAD in 2020. Yes, it will be more expensive but unless you have a very specific use for the HPLC, I think it's a very useful feature.

VWD is slightly more sensitive than DAD (at least in case of Agilent). Sometimes, this sensitivity difference is important.
DavidHPLC wrote:
A bit more info needed.

What is the purpose of this HPLC? Research support? Quality control? Stability testing? Will you be developing your own methods?

Is this your first HPLC? If not, what are the other brands your have? What is your current CDS?

Waters' systems are out of your budget?

Anyway, no column oven = no buy. Temperature is an important factor in LC separations so not having the control is a big handicap.

Temperature control for the column can be handled with heated column jackets that are much less expensive than a column oven. Unless you need the extra switching valves normally contained in the oven unit then they really aren't necessary.

We use a few of these for the instruments doing simple tests.

https://www.restek.com/catalog/view/6844
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
No easy answer w/o detailed information regarding the exact applications and samples it will be used for (IOW: Identify the specific methods and applications first, then look at each HPLC system configured correctly for those).

Is the system going to be used for method development or anything "important", such as providing analysis services ? If so, be sure and configure it with a scanning diode array detector as the primary HPLC detector. Single wavelength is not very useful. Next, be sure to order it with a column temperature compartment. This is required to produce repeatable results.

If you do purchase an Agilent 1220 series system, then do so with a column compartment, quat pump WITH the optional AIV (To order any Agilent pump without an AIV on the pump is a serious mistake!!!), and DAD. A/S is optional, but if need automation, then get one. Note: Agilent is just about giving away the 1220's in most markets (~ 50% off), new. Another option is to purchase a refurbished Agilent 1100 system from the manufacturer (these are full research grade instruments). These have been available from the manufacturer at DEEP DISCOUNTS (about the same price as a 1220 !), and they are also dumping these on the market (even selling them on ebay for under $20K USD) so should be considered over any 1220 system if you want the full featured version at a steal of a price. The 1100 is the same as a 1200-series, but has a different # on the front (just marketing). PS: I DO NOT work for AGILENT.
tusharkumeria wrote:
Hi, I want to buy an analytical HPLC for my lab and budget is a littile tight due to COVID-19. I am based in Australia and I've got quotes for three systems

Agilent 1220 Quat pump, autosampler, column oven, and UV detector (not DAD) with 3 yrs of complete service including yearly checks for Au$30,000 (~ US$ 21,500).

Thermo Ultimate 3000 Quat pump, autosampler, column oven, and UV detector (not DAD) with 1 yr warranty for Au$33,000 (~ US$ 23,500).

Shimadzu Nexera Quat pump, autosampler, NO column oven, and UV detector (not DAD) with 1 yr warranty for Au$28,000 (~ US$ 20,000).

Which one do you all think is a good system I can spend around A$30,000 but if I can get one for cheaper that would be better. I think after reading the forum, I should as Agilent for a better price.

Please help!

These are really good prices in my opinion. Can you provide me with the source of these prices.

Although I don't have any experience with systems other than Agilent, it worth to explore other alternatives. I am really disappointed with latest updates and Chemstation in particularly. So many bugs and things which do not work as previous versions of CS.
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
tusharkumeria wrote:

Please help!

These are really good prices in my opinion. Can you provide me with the source of these prices.

Although I don't have any experience with systems other than Agilent, it worth to explore other alternatives. I am really disappointed with latest updates and Chemstation in particularly. So many bugs and things which do not work as previous versions of CS.
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
Considering the prices are very similar but with the 1220 system you get 3 years of service contract included I say that system wins hands down..

As for Uv vs. DAD or AIV vs. PIV.. this is all down to application and specific needs. For 9 out of ten users either option will work fine.

Just my two cents worth.
Kind regards
Leadazide
9 posts Page 1 of 1