Solvent System Optimization

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi! :)

Are there models, or perhaps studies, that can help me optimize the solvent systems I am going to use in TLC? Preferably one that involves solvent polarity.

I read about the PRISMA system by Sz. Nyiredy and I thought I was already doing a binary solvent system with my hexane-ethyl acetate optimization (replacing the polar and nonpolar components), but I just realized that hexane is not considered a "solvent" but a diluent due to its near-zero solvent strength, therefore I cannot do the model as one of its functions involve solvent strength.
Are you trying to determine an acceptable solvent mixture or are you trying to develop a model. If you are looking for an acceptable solvent mixture,id. advise don't take short cuts. Use common solvent for what I assume is flash chromatography. Try DCM/chloroform (I don't like them they are bad for environment but work a treat. Trying different solvents and adsorbents (alumina/silica)etc and understanding the compounds moieties will make choosing an appropriate solvent system intuitive in the future, and unless you only need to do this once, the experience will pay for the time spent now in faster work in the future. No shortcuts is what i'm saying.
2 posts Page 1 of 1