No solvent coming out of waste line

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
This past Friday I set up a run using agilent 1260 infinity ii with chromeleon software. Full mobile phase bottles, made sure they were set properly as such in the bottle fillings. Came in today and mobile phase A was drained, and the pump and autosampler light had gone red. I opened the pump and ran IPA through the system for 10 minutes. Closed the pump and the clicking sounds too fast for 0.7ml/min flow and there was still no waste output. I opened the pump, and am draining into a beaker, and so far have over 100mL of solvent that has drained out. Has anyone seen this issue? I disconnected the column to try to isolate where the flow is stopping at and I'm pretty sure there is something internally wrong with the pump?
coltsgirl8 wrote:
I opened the pump and ran IPA through the system for 10 minutes. Closed the pump and the clicking sounds too fast for 0.7ml/min flow and there was still no waste output.

Are you talking about through the purge valve or the outlet to the column?

If you close the purge valve the flow should go to the column, is that where you are looking for the "waste output" or are you looking at the line from the purge valve, which should not have flow if it is closed?
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Please have someone at your school assist you with this. The system must be properly primed with solvent before use. Running an "IPA" flush makes no sense at all. Verify that ALL channels are degassed and fully primed. Run one-at-a-time at a preset flow into a graduated cylinder to confirm that actual flow rate from each channel, separately. NEVER trust the flow rate values displayed in the software, check them.
Hello,

Most likely your pump seals have failed. It appear that the pump can not build up any pressure against the column, therefore no output. The pump will keep pumping ever harder to build pressure (therefore too many clicks).

Alternately, it is also possible that you have a column that has choked on something. May be a bad buffer. I suggest to by pass the column to check the pumps delivers an output without too many clicks.

You need to service the pump.
4 posts Page 1 of 1