Agilent HPLC 1260 Binary pump Leaking

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I am attempting to troubleshoot a leak on an Agilent 1260 G1312B binary pump. I cannot see any leaks, but my I know there is one because my leak test (pressure test) is failing with the blanking nut set at the purge valve.

Parts i replaced:
-Pistons
-Piston seals
-Wash seals
-Seal gaskets
-Outlet ball valve

Before and after replacing the outlet ball valve, I am getting inconsistent results when running the valve test through LabAdvisor. Sometimes it will say the ball valve is defective or the AIV results are ambiguous. Other times they will pass.

Looking for suggestions on troubleshooting this leak I cannot solve.

Thanks
I'd isolate to try to determine whether the A pump or the B pump is leaking.
Make sure you fully prime the two pump heads with fresh clean and FULLY DEGASSED solvent. If any air bubbles are in the solution, then the test will show a failure due to a leak or valve, when in fact it is just because the the liquid used was not fully primed or degassed.
PS: If you have one of the "low-cost" 1260 Binary pumps that does not have an AIV installed (One of Agilent's worst marketing decisions ever!), then please purchase and install one as the AIV is what makes these pumps so reliable and not prone to having any bubble or "valve" issues like other brands. The AIV and the small connection line with fitting are available separately (or in a "kit' for even more money) and just plug into the pump, ready to use, and restores it back to a normal binary pump.
4 posts Page 1 of 1