Connecting two columns to two detector with a six port valve

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Our 1260 infinity is equipped with two C18 columns with a six port valve (image 1), and by design, one is linked to a Metrohm amperometric detector and another one should be hooked to FLD. However, a connector to FLD is not hooked up to the six port valve, since there is not room and it is just hanging free as in the image 2, and if we want to use FLD, we have to hook the connect to an output port of the six port valve. Deeding on which detector we'd like to use, we have to switch back and forth with connectors. My question is whether there are some ways, perhaps by adding a manual valve to regulate the flow between two detectors. I'd appreciate any inputs on this.

forgive me if I'm misunderstanding:

I think that 6 port valve is intended only for column switching. Flow comes in one side and is diverted to the port left or right of the inlet, both being attached to the heat-sinks to prewarm the solvent before entering a column. The flow comes back to the next port along, where it's diverted to the port directly opposite the original inlet, which is the outlet to the detector. Critically for you, there is only one outlet to the detector.

I assume what you're trying to do is use two different columns, with two different detectors.

If you always want to use column A with detector A, and column B with detector B, then it's possible. Simply connect the outlet end of the column directly to the detector without bothering to go back to the 6-port valve. You will only be using three of its ports (inlet and outlet to the two heat-sinks). For tidiness and to avoid dust, you can put a column-plug in the other three ports.

If you want a free choice of either column, with either detector, then you are right, you will need an additional valve.
Regardless of how everything is currently configured, what is it that you specifically want to be able to do? I'm not following and it's not clear to me. As lmh explains, the valve is typically used for switching columns.
I did not clearly explain what we are intended to do with our system. As indicated by lmh, one column will be dedicated to one detector. So one column will be permanently hooked up to the amperometric detector and another will be hooked up to the agilent's FLD.
akhst7 wrote:
I did not clearly explain what we are intended to do with our system. As indicated by lmh, one column will be dedicated to one detector. So one column will be permanently hooked up to the amperometric detector and another will be hooked up to the agilent's FLD.

What LMH said works great when column are dedicated to a specific detector like you have.

If you ever want to be able to switch detectors, you need another valve with a 1 in and x out configuration, set up so that the out to detector from the valve in the column oven goes into the 1 in port on the second valve and then each detector is on a separate port of that second valve. Those come in configurations such as 1 in and 2 out, or 1 in and 6 out ect.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1