Agilent HPLC EU to USA

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Just found out we will have access to a few Agilent model (1200 series) HPLC units (and a GCMS as well) that were bought for use in the EU (220 V) and we are considering moving them to the US. Has anyone ever had an instrument converted from 220 to 120 (assuming that it is possible) and if so was it enough of a bother that just rigging up a few 220 v outlets makes more sense?
Check the rear tag on the Agilent HPLCs. I believe they have a switched mode power supply which allows them to run on 100-240V.

As for the GC/MS, I'd check with the manufacturer to see if it's 220V +- 10 %. If not, have an electrician install either 208 or 240v (whatever you're set up for) and a buck/boost transformer made to handle the necessary amperage.
Sorry I can't help much, but we did it with Shimadzu HPLC no problem. Literally no change was necessary between 110 v and 220v.

Only problem was ELSD.... that one can't convert between 110 and 220V. But it was white labelled Sedex Sedere.

GCMS is a bit more problematic, Shimadzu required convertor and it is heavily discouraged to use those with GCMS... also different parts.

In case you have Sedex ELSD (both shimadzu and agilent use them) in there, I will gladly trade my 110V for your 220V :)
The 1260 Infinity II handle a line voltage of 100-240 V. All you need is the right cord.

Can't comment on the MS, but you do want to leave the GC at 220 V. Even if it doesn't have a fast-ramping oven, the heating rate will be significantly higher with the 220 V oven. I'm in the US, and all of our 220 V GCs but one are on 208 V lines. I really regret having the one on a 120 V line. If do change the voltage at all on the GC, it will require a different fan shroud (at least on the 7890s). One of ours can with a 240 V, and the engineer had to swap it for a 220 V during install.
4 posts Page 1 of 1