Can TFA be used along with a protic acid as an additive

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I am working on a 17 compound separation using TFA and was wondering if a protic acid be used together with TFA. Reason is there is one compound containing 2--COOH groups that TFA doesn't supress and I know that 0.1% H3PO4 does supress ionization. thx
Why do you need to suppress these? If you do, why not use sulfuric acid instead of TFA?
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
The separation components consist of -COOH, -NH2 and and -CHO. We have a good separation of all components using the waters flouro phenyl column with 0.05% TFA aq and 0.5% TFA MeOH, but one compound is a di-acid 2(-COOH) and the ionization is not surpressed with TFA. I though maybe adding a protic acid modifier along with the TFA would fix this, but I've never heard of anyone doing this so I ask here.
I would simply replace TFA with sulfuric acid.
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
1. TFA is a protic acid.
2. What are the pKa values of the problem compound?
5 posts Page 1 of 1