CBD Extraction using FLD instead of UV Detector

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I recently started at a small company with one HPLC, an Agilent 1260. I have about 7 years of HPLC experience so in general I know what I'm doing, however I've only ever used DAD and VWD detectors. The HPLC they have here is FLD, which I have no experience using, nor did I know this was even an option.

I've been tasked with developing a method to extract Cannabidiol from a lotion-type product (the details of the product haven't been fully explained to me) and I have no idea if an FLD detector will even yield viable results. From what I've read, FLD tends to be very selective in terms of compound excitation and peak response.

Any and all advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Not sure if CBD fluoresces, but with the Agilent system you should be able to set a fixed excitation and scan through emission and look at the spectra, then set the emission at any peak wavelengths you see and do a fixed emission with scan in excitation and see if you get a good value for each then set them and try a run and see if you get a good peak for it.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
As I have coincidentally found out (didn't turn FLD off after protein analyses), CBD has same excitation as tryptophan - 280 nm.

For emmision, anything around 330 nm should work well.
Try the advice above.

However, I see this as just one more example of trying to "make do" with existing equipment when there is instrumentation to make this simpler, such as a UV detector. The structure of CDB shows a nice aromatic ring for UV detection.

Get your pointy-haired boss to open his wallet for a used/reconditioned UV or DAD detector.

If I was still working, and could not find any decent published procedures, I would start with HPLC-UV and also investigate capillary GC after trimethylsilyl derivatization. I liked to learn and explore different possibilities.
How about doing indirect detection with FLD?
Vlad Orlovsky
HELIX Chromatography
My opinions might be bias, but I have about 1000 examples to support them. Check our website for new science and applications
www.helixchrom.com
Vlad Orlovsky wrote:
How about doing indirect detection with FLD?

How would indirect detection work? I've never heard of that technique.
janoshik wrote:
As I have coincidentally found out (didn't turn FLD off after protein analyses), CBD has same excitation as tryptophan - 280 nm.

For emmision, anything around 330 nm should work well.

Great, thats excellent to know, thanks so much!!
7 posts Page 1 of 1