organic acids by HPLC?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, can someone please explain how phosphonic acid could be analyzed by HPLC such as the mobile phase and column type to use.

As far as I know, phosphonic acid and phosphorous are structural isomers with the latter being least stable.

Some readings have suggested that derivitization of the acid needs to be done as it is poorly retained in the column and there's no suitable UV chromophore.

Thank you !!
Phosphonic acid is H-P(O)(OH)2. It is an inorganic acid.
It co-exists with extremely minor quantity of its tautomer P(OH)3 called phosphorous acid. These are the names recommended by IUPAC.
In practice, both names are used for the stable H-P(O)(OH)2.
Organic acids R-P(O)(OH)2 are called phosphonic acids.

The salts and esters of phosphonic acids are called phosphonates.
The stable organic compounds P(OR)3 are called phosphites. P(OH)3 does not form stable salts. In practice, the word "phosphite" is frequently used to name the salts of H-P(O)(OH)2.

So, you need to determine inorganic phosphonic acid H-P(O)(OH)2 or its salts in some object.
What is the object? What is the concentration range?

In several pharmaceuticals, the impurity of phosphonic acid / phosphonate is separated from the main component and other impurities (phosphoric acid / phosphate) and determined with the use of anion-exchange columns. Refractometers, conductometers, and UV detectors in indirect mode are used for detection.

Example: phosphite and phosphate in sodium alendronate according to European Pharmacopeia.
Column: Allsep Anion, 150 mm × 4.6 mm, 7 um.
Eluent: 0.2 mL HCOOH in 1000 mL H2O, 2 M NaOH to pH 3.5, F = 1.2 mL/min, 35 °C.
Sample: 2 mg/mL in water, 100 uL.
Detection: RID.
LOQ: about 0.25% (0.005 mg/mL).

When calculating and reporting the result, please don't forget to clearly state what species you are determining (or recalculating for):
- phosphonic (phosphorous) acid H3PO3;
- phosphonate (phosphite) anion HPO3^2-;
- sodium phosphite Na2HPO3;
- conditional particle PO3;
- elementary phosphorous in the form of phosphonates;
- phosphate-anion equivalent of phosphonate-anion;
- phosphoric acid equivalent of phosphonic acid;
- etc.
vmu:

Thank you for your detailed explanations.

I am given white unknown solids to determine the level of phosphonic acid impurities only.

As phosphonic acid is in equilibrium with phosphorous acid, what steps are needed to
make sure only phosphonic acid is analysed?

Can gradient analysis on RP HPLC with formic acid and water as mobile phase be fitting to analyze highly polar phosphonic acid?

Thank you.
chemgc779 wrote:
As phosphonic acid is in equilibrium with phosphorous acid, what steps are needed to make sure only phosphonic acid is analysed?
No steps are needed. It's safe to assume that only H-P(O)(OH)2 is present in the sample and in the standard solution. Virtually no P(OH)3 can exist there.
chemgc779 wrote:
Can gradient analysis on RP HPLC with formic acid and water as mobile phase be fitting to analyze highly polar phosphonic acid?
No, it can't. Anion-exchange column is needed.
RP column with a suitable ion-pairing agent (such as tetrabutyl ammonium ion) in mobile phase might solve the task.
vmu:

Thank you for your help - your detailed explanation made it easier to understand :P
Can someone please suggest a suitable detector and wavelength for analysing phosphorous/phosphonic acid using HPLC?

Thank you everyone :P
chemgc779, I told you:
- refractive index detector,
- conductivity detector,
- UV detector in indirect mode.

An example for the latter variant is the method for the determination of phosphate and phosphite in foscarnet sodium hexahydrate according to European Pharmacopeia.
Column: Waters IC PAK, 50 mm × 4.6 mm.
Eluent: 0.5 mM potassium hydrogen phthalate, 2.5 mM nitric acid, F = 1.4 mL/min.
Sample: 2.4 mg/mL in water, 20 uL.
Detection: UV detector at 290 nm (indirect detection).
LOQ: not more than 0.3% (0.0072 mg/mL).
vmu:

thank you again for your information but I was hoping if I can use PDA detector as it is the only one available.

thank you.
chemgc779, you can use PDA detector. PDA detector is just a variant of "UV detector". This detector measures UV light absorption. The method with "UV detector" I described above can be run with PDA detector.
vmu:

Thank you again for your detailed information and I will try to utilise these conditions you've outlined above.
10 posts Page 1 of 1