Tributyrin

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Any experience in getting Tributyrin (polar TG) to stick to an LC column.
Using ELSD-MS compatible solvents (MeOH, ACN, Acetone), have been
unsuccessful in getting these low MW Triglycerides to stick to C18 columns.

Thanks for your help

It won't be retained if you use those solvents straight. You'll need to dilute with water or dilute aqueous acetic or formic acid depending upon what else might be in your sample. I'd suggest increasing the aqueous content of your MP in 5 to 10 percent increments and injecting until the tributyrin is where you'd like it. Alternately, you can run a gradient from (I'd guess) about 30% organic to 95% organic over 20 minutes or so and see where you land.

Your ELSD should be able to handle water easily enough, though the more you have, the lower your sensitivity will be. You'll likely need to fine tune your pressure and temperature settings and you should be fine.

PS...In my experience at least, acetone is a good solvent to use for enhancement of ELSD sensitivity, just be sure to buy the cleanest grade acetone you can possibly get. If you get the selectivity you need and you're not using a UV detector in front of your ELSD, I'd recommend using acetone as the organic portion of your MP.
3 posts Page 1 of 1