Analytical laboratory library

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

18 posts Page 1 of 2
I proposed to my boss that our lab should have a library for reference and educational purposes. I proposed the following books, but I was wondering if anyone else would recommend additions to this list? I don't really expect my lab to buy any of these books (which makes me a little sad), but it's fun to dream. Here's what I proposed:

"Introduction to Modern Liquid Chromatography, 3rd Edition" - Lloyd Snyder, Joseph Kirkland, John Dolan

"HPLC Columns: Theory, Technology, and Practice" - Uwe Neue

"Modern HPLC for Practicing Scientists" - Michael W. Dong

"Practical HPLC Method Development, 2nd Edition" - Lloyd Snyder, Joseph Kirkland, Joseph Glajch

"Troubleshooting LC Systems: A Comprehensive Approach to Troubleshooting LC Equipment and Separations" - Lloyd Snyder, John Dolan

"LC/MS: A Practical User's Guide" - Marvin McMaster

"Introduction to Mass Spectrometry: Instrumentation, Applications, and Strategies for Data Interpretation" - J. Throck Watson

"Interpretation of Mass Spectra" - Fred W. McLafferty, Turecek

"Understanding Mass Spectra: A Basic Approach" - R. Martin Smith

"The Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide for Gas Chromatographers" - Dean Rood

"Basic Gas Chromatography (Techniques in Analytical Chemistry), 2nd Edition" - Harold M. McNair, James M. Miller

"Modern Practice of Gas Chromatography" - Robert L. Grob, Eugene F. Barry

"GC / MS: A Practical User's Guide" - Marvin C. McMaster

"Columns for Gas Chromatography: Performance and Selection" - Eugene F. Barry

Anyone have any additions? Our lab does GC, LC, LC/MS, GC/MS, organic extractions, and general chemistry analyses.

Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry J. N. Miller, J. C. Miller
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thanks, JGK.

The book by Kuss and Kromidas on "Quantification in LC and GC" might be useful as well for any lab doing quantitative analysis.

Thanks Uwe.

I don't have any books to add, I just wanted to thank you for giving me my Christmas wish list really early. :D

If you do headspace this one is pretty good (only read first edition):

Static Headspace-Gas Chromatography (Second Edition)
Published Online: 18 Apr 2006

Editor(s): Kolb

Author(s): Bruno Kolb, Leslie S. Ettre

Print ISBN: 9780471749448 Online ISBN: 9780471914587

Thanks for the additional suggestion krickos. Our volatiles section does do headspace, so this would be a good addition to my theoretical library.

GregK - does that make us nerds that this is my Christmas wish list, too?

(1) Encyclopedia of mass spectrometry is a good one, published by Elsevier, I think the editors are Caprioli and Gross; as many volumes as you can afford, and not just the volumes you think you need. I wish we could afford more than the one volume we have.

(2) Books are only useful if they are read.

lmh wrote:
(1) Encyclopedia of mass spectrometry is a good one, published by Elsevier, I think the editors are Caprioli and Gross; as many volumes as you can afford, and not just the volumes you think you need. I wish we could afford more than the one volume we have.

(2) Books are only useful if they are read.

1. According to Amazon, that's a 10+ volume set, and the volumes that were available were about $550 each. I can understand why you qualified your recommendation with the statement "... as many volumes as you can afford"!

2. Understood! Thanks for the recommendation for more additions to my theoretical library. I just wish it wasn't "theoretical", so I actually could read them.

I also really like the following by Marvin McMaster:

HPLC: A Practical User's Guide

Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: WileyBlackwell; 2nd Edition edition (12 Jan 2007)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0471754013
ISBN-13: 978-0471754015
Product Dimensions: 23.6 x 16 x 2.3 cm

Couldn't hurt to add another HPLC book. This library is theoretical, so I can theoretically add anything I want!

We also do ICP-MS - I found the following books that deal with the technique:

"Practical Guide to ICP-MS: A Tutorial for Beginners, Second Edition (Practical Spectroscopy)" - Robert Thomas

"Practical Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectroscopy (Analytical Techniques in the Sciences (AnTs) *)" - John R. Dean

"Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry Handbook" - Simon Nelms

Does anyone have any additional suggestions in that arena?

Great list!

Sometimes older editions are available through Amazon for much cheaper prices.
Whilst it would be ideal to have the latest editions, some new editions don't have extensive revisions.
Chiming in to say thank you for the list and as a beginner, I'll be looking these up!
Hi bisnettrj2 and all

Your idea is excellent, as an old man about 60 and I prefer reading real books and not in a screen of a computer. Seeing a file of books in a library is very rare in the laboratories of today.
But I have to mention that the Chromatography Online (LCGC) is an excellent site to read many interesting topics about HPLC.
I have read many of the books you mentioned and they are a premium for us chromatographers!

Greetings

Fernando
18 posts Page 1 of 2