Spectroscopy Magazine

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
How do I stop the delivery of Spectroscopy Magazine? I NEVER asked for this magazine, they used to call me at work about once a month to renew, and I told them each time to stop magazine and stop calling me. After a few years I started answering the phone calls from them "Spectroscopy Magazine, how can I help you" to drive them nuts. Later I just called each backroom dialer a moron, and told them to stop.

Now, I'm retired, routed LCGC Magazine to my home address, and now Spectroscopy Magazine appeared yesterday !!! It's like a cheap horror film where the people never think to leave the creepy cabin in the woods....
Interesting!

Funnily enough I used to have the same problem with that magazine here in the UK. Along with warnings that if I didn't fill out the enclosed card to renew then they would not send me any more :o

they were still being delivered to the lab in 2015 - and probably still are. Luckily they don't have my home address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5xxh5UX4U

Also amusing were the continual supply of Sigma Aldrich "door stop" sized book catalogues - I soon ran out of doors.

Regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
Sigma stopped sending the hard copy catalogues when I elected to only use their website - saved them a pile of money I'm sure. Maybe the same thing would work with Spectroscopy Mag - get an online subscription so they don't send the paper ones, then set you spam filter onto it.

Peter
Peter Apps
Actually totally understandable given the economics of the trade publishing business.

First of all, LC-GC and Spectroscopy have the same publisher, and so probably have one mailing list with "checkboxes" identifying the pubs to which you subscribe, so if your address changes for one of them, it will change for all.

Second, they are in the business of selling ads (you are not their customer, you are their product :shock: ), and their advertising rates are based on the number of subscribers, which means that they have a strong disincentive to allow you to unsubscribe.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
tom jupille wrote:
LC-GC and Spectroscopy have the same publisher, and so probably have one mailing list with "checkboxes" identifying the pubs to which you subscribe, so if your address changes for one of them, it will change for all.

That's it. And I understand that they'd rather "keep" a subscriber and waste paper and postage in order to tell advertisers that they have "X" subscriptions.
I quit Popular Mechanics magazine a few years ago, thought the content focus had switched. Several times a year they mail me and offer a more-discounted price to sign up again. Now the price is $8 per year, so similar: they want subscriber numbers to sell ads.
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
I quit Popular Mechanics magazine a few years ago, thought the content focus had switched. Several times a year they mail me and offer a more-discounted price to sign up again. Now the price is $8 per year, so similar: they want subscriber numbers to sell ads.

It's a normal matter.
Florence Fiona
7 posts Page 1 of 1