Peter's Law

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

26 posts Page 2 of 2
James_Ball wrote:
A client told us that recently he had a permit writer from the state tell him after seeing that his waste water effluent pH was in the 6-8 range that "He would get his pH down to zero or he would close down is operation!"

This popped into my head as I was sitting through some training today. What would the guy say if you had asked "what should the pOH of my water be?"
itspip wrote:
James_Ball wrote:
A client told us that recently he had a permit writer from the state tell him after seeing that his waste water effluent pH was in the 6-8 range that "He would get his pH down to zero or he would close down is operation!"

This popped into my head as I was sitting through some training today. What would the guy say if you had asked "what should the pOH of my water be?"

From what I heard about him he would probably want both the pH and pOH to both be zero on the same sample :P
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
Only in Microbiology and Analytical Chemistry were staff required to have the direct degree for their field. Sad.

I believe I have the distinction of being the only Phi Beta Kappa person in the world who drives a 1988 Mazda B2200 truck as primary vehicle !!! This has a carburetor, manual shift, fits in my garage, and only 210K miles; I rebuilt the engine myself in 2011 because it smoked.

OK: the sticker is real, but the photo is staged, I only had the sticker there for the photo. The remainder is real. And likely the only Phi Beta Kappa person in the world with an above-ground pool...
Wow, 210K miles- impressive!-

Only another 2,790,001 miles to go :-)
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... le-mileage

A government minister here in the UK recently said that he wanted all of the schools to be above average.

A pool?! Luxury!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

:-)

Regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
You got me beat on the Phi Beta Kappa, but my 85 Jeep Cherokee only has 160K miles on it! I am going to rebuild the engine this summer hopefully since it has quite a bit of blowby, probably bad rings since it sat for six years in a co-workers driveway until I bought it two years ago.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
You got me beat .... my 85 Jeep Cherokee only has 160K miles on it! I am going to rebuild the engine this summer hopefully since it has quite a bit of blowby, probably bad rings since it sat for six years in a co-workers driveway until I bought it two years ago.

Yeah, my main vehicle does have 210K on it, but we also drive a lot the '98 Nissan Frontier truck (206K miles) we bought in 2004 with 100K for the kids to learn to drive, and drive standard. Don't forget my '71 VW Convertible which "only" has 141K, or Mrs. Consumer Products Guy's 2005 Yukon with 170K.

I also bought a future truck 4 years ago, a 2004 Frontier with 5 speed and 4-cylinder, only 90K miles, looks practically new. And don't forget the 1970 VW with 260K on it that I bought back in 1970 and hope to get back to running shape as a fall project.

We did buy a 1984 Jeep Cherokee in 1988 to have as family vehicle, I liked it a lot, but couldn't tow a horse/trailer except local because that was over its capacity as it was 5-speed (GM V6 engine - underpowered, 4WD 4-door). Back in those days both Ford and GM did not see the potential of mid-sized 4-door SUVs....like when I was in Mexico about 1996 and saw 4-door Nissan and even Datsun-labeled 4-door trucks before they were available in USA....
A total of 1077K miles.

A million mile family of vehicles :-)

Regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
Here I am thinking I was doing well having just passed 200k miles on my 1997 Toyota Tacoma a couple of weeks ago.
@CPG
I learned to drive on a 1980-something Mazda B2200 5 speed manual. If they hadn't geared the thing so low the bed would be just for looks, unless you wanted to haul feathers. Even in 5th, keeping pace on the freeway required you to be comfortable with some seriously high RPMs.

@Blazer
With regards to that 97 Tacoma, don't ever sell it. Those things are indestructible. The British TV show "Top Gear" once put one on the roof of a multistory building that was about to be demolished. Afterwards, they were able to pull it out of the rubble, and with a little help from some starter fluid, it was still drive-able.
"With regards to that 97 Tacoma, don't ever sell it. Those things are indestructible. The British TV show "Top Gear" once put one on the roof of a multistory building that was about to be demolished. Afterwards, they were able to pull it out of the rubble, and with a little help from some starter fluid, it was still drive-able." That was after they left it on the beach for the tide to come in and flood it.

I rebuilt an old B-2000 engine after my sister-in law-to-be ran it out of oil and spun a bearing. They weren't too bad of an engine but the truck was pretty crude by today's standards.
With regards to the Top Gear series with the Tacoma mentioned by Scotthorn - watch the other episodes -in various episodes they tried without success to kill the Toyota including drowning it at high tide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

and later by using the Scotthorn reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQ ... tml5=False

Sadly the BBC series has (for certain well publicised reasons) ended with the original presenters. They did many amazing episodes and specials. Happily that original crew will be launching a new series on Amazon later this year. They are not allowed to use the Top Gear name and apparently the title "Gear Knobs" has been ruled out.

The BBC are trying to relaunch the series with a new team but it will never be as good, in my opinion, mainly because of the chemistry between the original presenters.

Regards

Ralph
Regards

Ralph
26 posts Page 2 of 2