Well, this is a bummer!

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

12 posts Page 1 of 1
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
That curve is nowhere near linear. I have concerns that it would pass even using a third order polynomial. Even assuming the use of an ELSD detector, I've rarely seen one return a curve that skewed.....I suspect serious issues with the detector in this case.
This is obviously a -log(x) scale!
Can politics ever be considered a science?
GCguy
Well, I'm REALLY hot, in the way corresponding to this topic. So hot that I affect the calibration of our instrumentation.

I might even be unclothed as I type this....

... now no one will read my posts.....
Well at least Chemist are hotter than Physicists, they didn't even make the chart :)
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
They didn't make the chart, but they made today's SMBC-comics!
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20131002.png
Thanks,
DR
It's not so bad. You can improve your chances enormously by stating that you do "science", or you can leap well into the top half by coyly refusing to specify what you do.

I'd also point out that there's no indication of the standard deviations on the hotness-score, and whether they are the same for all occupations. It could be that the chemists' mean score is being dragged down by some particularly un-hot synthetic chemists, and we analysts represent the better side of the bell-curve.

Of course my personal solution is to relabel the x-axis "average coolness score", which clearly involves reversing its direction, and suddenly I am extremely cool.
I dunno about this...Remember that chemists come in all sorts of flavors and while I may not be quite as hot as CPG, I've had the pleasure to work with some fairly smokin' chemists. In fact, the local chapter of the professional organization to which many of my labmates belonged quite accurately referred to them as the "BASF Babes". I was actually one of few guys in the lab and many of my male colleagues in other departments openly envied my location. The ladies were all excellent chemists, by the way.

My own assistant for several years was easily 6' tall in flats, stunning, a very good chemist, and a really nice lady besides.

Lucky me!
http://the-ghetto-chromatographer.blogspot.com/
OMG - I'm sure hoping that CPG was just teasing.

Myself - and not "bragging": I was involved with several co-workers when I was younger. Mrs. KM-USA (almost 28 years now) actually was a food scientist in our sister company, but not officially a "chemist". But she did QC assays at a meat processing plant (fats, moistures, proteins, salt, etc.) before going back to school for her masters.
KM-USA wrote:
OMG - I'm sure hoping that CPG was just teasing.

I didn't state whether I was teasing.
All the ex-chemists skewed the mean.
12 posts Page 1 of 1