tables like the one in papers ??

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Plz can anyone tell me how to draw a scientific table like the one in papers , i feel that word is poor and i am sure that there is software which draw an excellent scientific table but what ?

Thanks scientists
I used Word for creating the tables in what I've published. There are many options in word to allow for various effects. So, my question is what table features are you not able to obtain while using Word? Perhaps one of us can point you to how to get teh appearance you want.
I use Excel to compose & format my tables. Copying & pasting into Word is a good last step.
Thanks,
DR
Newchromatographer wrote:
Hi,

Plz can anyone tell me how to draw a scientific table like the one in papers , i feel that word is poor and i am sure that there is software which draw an excellent scientific table but what ?

Thanks scientists

Can you show us an example of what you think is a good table ?

Most journals these days have online submission - you send them the manuscript as a pdf or word processing file, and they do the final design, layout and printing (afer the referees and editors have done the usual hatchet job on your beautiful paper ! :roll: ) - so the tables that you see in the published paper do not look the same (in layout terms) as what was submitted.

Of course, if there was software that would automatically generate really good numbers to go IN the tables, that would be really useful.

Peter
Peter Apps
DR wrote:
I use Excel to compose & format my tables. Copying & pasting into Word is a good last step.

This is what I do as well. I copy as a picture in Excel. Hold hown Shift button, then click on Edit column, and "Copy as Picture" shows up. Click on that, the click Copy as Picture, then go to Word and paste it in. In Word 97 you need to Paste Special to un-float the picture, or you won't see it in Normal View, or must later right-click and Format Picture.
It seems that all my versions of MS Word, for some years, had a table or even Excell tables directly available.
I think the tables in Word look great, I just use the insert table function and then change the settings for border line, horizontal lines, etc.

At least electronic submission now means you don't have the depression that descends when your beautifully-written paper comes back as printers' proofs with figure 3 upside down.

Word tables should be fine, and remember, if you need a bit more width, you can always change the page layout to Landscape in "from this point onwards" rather than the whole document (and change it back to Portrait after your wide table). Anything has to be better than a typewriter and a Rotring pen (which was always a guarantee that the boss would decide to change the layout as soon as he saw it).
Word creates great tables, the 2007 version can get pretty fancy with the colors and shading, but a simple black/white is really the easiest to read and goes with the KISS principle (Keep it Simple Stupid).
9 posts Page 1 of 1