Where can I buy the kit they use in CSI?

Off-topic conversations and chit-chat.

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear Johnny Rod:

I, too, wish I could "buy the kit they use in CSI?" It seems to test for every situation, and all in a nice size brief case.

I also want the cherry wood and carpet labs that look like they've never seen a messy lab tech or chemical splash. :)
Sallybeetle wrote:
Dear Johnny Rod:

I, too, wish I could "buy the kit they use in CSI?" It seems to test for every situation, and all in a nice size brief case.

I also want the cherry wood and carpet labs that look like they've never seen a messy lab tech or chemical splash. :)

Yes but they could do with a few more light bulbs in CSI-Vegas. Im surprised the lab safety officer lets them get away with that.

Personally I'm holding out for the commercial issue of the Star Trek tricorder which will probably make my (and every other) analyst's job redundant.
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Where's Grissom ???

Fishbourne stunk. And we were all supposed to believe he could learn everything in a few weeks???? Anyway, I gave up after three programs with Fishbourne.
I hear Agilent have a new instrument out next year, it's a big box with a red button on it and a printer. It's got more hyphens that an English public school but the whole lab has to be in a 6 Tesla magnetic field and purged with helium. It still unfortuntely replies on (a) spectacularly unlikely coincidences and (b) Chemstation
Boy, you had me right up to the part about chemstation. I gather that Agilent is phasing that out....
What platform is Agilent going to from Chemstation? No offense, I have used many different platforms, and Chemstation is one of my least favorites.
It's a bit murky to be honest, they've renamed Chemstation and EZChrom as OpenLab Chemstation and EZ Chrom editions, and at some future point they'll merge into one CDS. I haven't seen OL-CS yet but we should get new GCs next month with it on there. No point speculating further than that with Agilent!
Thanks for the heads up.
JGK: that's the point, and it's the thing we're all getting wrong. If you turn the lights out and look at everything with a torch (preferably a funny-coloured torch that you have to hold at shoulder height with your arm in an odd position), it all suddenly comes clear.

Everyone: how come they also always have wall-sized screens and video-links that actually work? And I want the 3d thing from Bones please. Hey, but at least in the real world it's possible to be as ugly as me and still work in a lab without either learning a martial art or getting blonde hair extensions.

By the way, why doesn't my centrifuge print out GC chromatograms like happens in TV?

Oh, and can I have a coffee machine in the lab, like Quincy?
I hadn't noticed the Chromatogram from the centrifuge trick; but, I want one of those!!! :)
lmh wrote:
JGK: that's the point, and it's the thing we're all getting wrong. If you turn the lights out and look at everything with a torch (preferably a funny-coloured torch that you have to hold at shoulder height with your arm in an odd position), it all suddenly comes clear.

Everyone: how come they also always have wall-sized screens and video-links that actually work? And I want the 3d thing from Bones please. Hey, but at least in the real world it's possible to be as ugly as me and still work in a lab without either learning a martial art or getting blonde hair extensions.

By the way, why doesn't my centrifuge print out GC chromatograms like happens in TV?

Oh, and can I have a coffee machine in the lab, like Quincy?

That 'Quincy' remark reminds me of University.

All of the new students coming in to Toxicology wanted to be like Quincy. You should have seen their faces when we told them that being like 'Sam' - the underpaid, overworked, never-let-out-of-the-lab assistant was closer to the truth.
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
I'm still waiting for the back-packable GC featured in "Medicine Man" where Sean Connery could inject a crude plant extract and it would spew out the structure of the pharmacologically active compound in the plant...
All standard disclaimers apply. My posts are my opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the policies of my employer.
I want one of the Medicine Man's GCs as it runs without gas, that sure would save a lot of timing changing out tanks!
13 posts Page 1 of 1