Is there a disadvantage of using Custom Fields all the time?

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I work in a lab which uses Empower 3 software but not half the features it could offer- we still calculate assay results, intersample calcualtions etc using Excel spreadsheets, we don't use report methods to filter down related substances results.
Unless I'm missing something wouldn't it be much more efficient to validate custom fields then release them for all testing that uses calculations? There seems to be an attitude of "oh we never did it that way" or "that seems too complicated to set up" in my job, I don't know is it like that in general?
I would use the 'Custom Field Editor' in your CDS since it has been validated/verified per 21 CFR part 11. I doubt the Excel spreadsheet has been similarly verified.
Using CFs (always call them "configurable fields" in front of the agency) is fine, but they must (in a GMP setting) have been shown to work as expected and need to be either locked or editing access restricted from end users who might be inclined to make unauthorized changes to them.

Really, there is not all that much need of them for the great majority of pharma calculations. Most of what is needed is built in and trouble getting reports to look as you like is more commonly a lack of know-how with respect to report object editing than lack of proper fields being available by default.
Thanks,
DR
DR wrote:
Really, there is not all that much need of them for the great majority of pharma calculations. Most of what is needed is built in and trouble getting reports to look as you like is more commonly a lack of know-how with respect to report object editing than lack of proper fields being available by default.

I don't fully agree with that. In my field of work, we perform a wide variety of tests which depend on Intersample calculations and in these cases, custom fields are a Godsend and help a lot with daily working life. The only thing is, they do require intensive validation because if you create a calculated custom field its up to you to test it against a wide variety of conditions and if anything goes wrong, it cant be blamed on a bug, its you and you alone.
4 posts Page 1 of 1