How to install Chemstation LC

Discussions about chromatography data systems, LIMS, controllers, computer issues and related topics.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I just bought a HP1100 full system for my laboratory. I have the license key for it.
At this time I'm able to install chemstation but there is no communication between the HP1100 and the PC.
I installed the BootP first and followed the topic provided on the CD. I connected the UV detector G1314A to my PC network card. I think I’m doing wrong to configure my network card.
I run under Win7 with a B.04.02 SP1 chemstation system.
When I try to ping on the 10.1.1.101 address there is nothing. No answer. Would it be possible to help me to configure the system ?
I’m also afraid with the cooled sampler. When I start it, It is doing its selftest and the sampling arm touch the needle. At the end of the test the light of the sampler just turn off (sampler is still on). Could it be because the is no communication with the PC ?

Many thank in advance for your help.
Regards to the helpers.
What is the replay from ping 10.1.1.101? do you receive destination host unreachable or ping time-out?
If you have host unreachable then you probably have problem with wrong IP configuration on PC. The IP on PC should be 10.1.1.x (different in last digit from HPLC),
If on ping you receive Timeout then probably instrument is not set on thi IP. If you use old BotP (that automatically detects MAC address), there could be wrong MAC address assigned to this IP, normally PC network card. In the back of the detector there is probably label with MAC address if not, you will have to take Jet direct card out, and check the label inside. Newer Jet direct cards use switches, I'm not sure but if remember correctly for botP all switches should be down.
Few years ago we moved our systems to network, all Agilent and HP systems were by default on 10.1.1.11, try and ping this address, or you can try and download ipscaner
When I reinstalled the software on a new PC I had some issues with connecting the LC (Agilent) to the PC. The issue I had was solved by checking the IP Address range from the network card in the PC. It was starting too high and I directed it to use an IP Address closer to the default for the machine.
Thank you for your answers :
Hereunder are my settings.

For my PC network card :
Ip: 10.1.1.100
subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : /

Hereunder are the informations from the Tabefile generated by Boopt
#essai
HP1100-1:\
ht=1:\
ha=0030D3091287:\
ip=10.1.1.101:\
sm=255.255.255.0:\
gw=0.0.0.0:\
vm=auto:\
hn:\
bs=auto:\
T145=64:T146=01:T147=01

Even if I force to "log bootp request", I have nothing in the logfile.

When I ping on the address of my PC network card (10.1.1.100) I've an answer.
When I ping on the address of the HPLC card (10.1.1.101) I have no answer.

The bootpsetting service is started and the HPLC module is turned on after the bootp service has been started.

The cable I use is a crossed cable.

I'm lost. any other options ? I must be ready in few days to start my owne compagny. Please help me
ATAlR wrote:
What is the replay from ping 10.1.1.101? do you receive destination host unreachable or ping time-out?
If you have host unreachable then you probably have problem with wrong IP configuration on PC. The IP on PC should be 10.1.1.x (different in last digit from HPLC),
If on ping you receive Timeout then probably instrument is not set on thi IP. If you use old BotP (that automatically detects MAC address), there could be wrong MAC address assigned to this IP, normally PC network card. In the back of the detector there is probably label with MAC address if not, you will have to take Jet direct card out, and check the label inside. Newer Jet direct cards use switches, I'm not sure but if remember correctly for botP all switches should be down.
Few years ago we moved our systems to network, all Agilent and HP systems were by default on 10.1.1.11, try and ping this address, or you can try and download ipscaner

Dear ATAIR,
I used the MAC address note on the UV detector card label. As you recommended, I tried also to ping the 10.1.1.11 address without success.
For the 10.1.1.101 ping, the ping time is out.
I tried to install bootp on a XP system (just in case!) but I have exatly the same problems.

What is strange is the logfile. I have nothing in.
The logfile can be written only if I configure my pc network card automatically (without giving a static IP).
At this time it gives me the mac address of my pc network card.
Do you think it is normal ?
Do you know an other way to find the mac address of the Hplc module card ?
Many thanks again for your help.

Best regards
Hi Iberneur
I share your pain as I have done a few of these Chemstations over the years and sometimes they can be so frustrating.
A few suggestions.

Get into the command line mode by typing cmd in the 'search programs and files' box in Windows. Then type arp -a
This should display all the connections to the computer you are on in terms of MAC address and ip. See if the card for the detector is listed as this may give you a hint as to what the IP address of the card is currently. You may have to scroll up as sometimes there are lots of entries.

If you don't find anything, try to turn off the Windows Firewall if you are able to. I have found on occasion that bootp was being blocked by the firewall even though supposedly it was set up not to be. If that is the case then this may explain a lot. Remember to turn off the detector after each change in settings as the card may only request an IP when the detector starts up.

I have found that the later versions of bootp were far inferior when troubleshooting compared to the older versions that gave a screen message when a new request for an IP was found. The logfile part of the newer bootp versions never did work reliably for me so on more than one occasion I installed an older version of bootp on a spare computer and used that to assign the IP address to my instrument so I could make some progress.

Let me know how it goes and good luck
Kevin
Hello

If you have standalone system - PC and LC you don't need BootP

Do it as below:

1.Remove LAN card from LC detector
2.Find 8 switches on LAN card
3.Put switches 5 and 6 to up position - rest to position down
Now LAN card has default IP 192.168.254.11
4.Change IP in your PC to 192.168.254.10
5.Uninstall BootP or DO NOT turn it on
6.Try to ping PC and LC with IP addresses
7.Change IP address for LC in Chemstation Configuratiopn Editor

Good luck

Tomasz Kubowicz
Dear Tomasz,

You were right.
I tried exactly what you explain before to see your message. And It is working well.
I use different IP address but it doesn't matter.
In fact the small switches of the lan card must be all put to up position (found on cd helper of the lan card).

I must thanks all of you for your help.

Best regards

tkubowicz wrote:
Hello

If you have standalone system - PC and LC you don't need BootP

Do it as below:

1.Remove LAN card from LC detector
2.Find 8 switches on LAN card
3.Put switches 5 and 6 to up position - rest to position down
Now LAN card has default IP 192.168.254.11
4.Change IP in your PC to 192.168.254.10
5.Uninstall BootP or DO NOT turn it on