Peak area problems

Discussions about IC and related topics

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello to all,
Im working in an analysis of a cation and I have problem with the repeatability of the peak area of my analyte between a series of injections.
Im using a system with an IC detector, chemical suppressor and an HPLC waters. I know that in IC needed a full plastic system. The HPLC part in my system contains stain steel parts which cannot be replaced with plastic ones.
Is there any possibility the stain steel parts be the cause of the peak area variability?

Thanx in advance
Is there any possibility the stain steel parts be the cause of the peak area variability
*Anything* is possible, but unless you tell us what the analyte/mobile phase/column are, there is no way to say any more.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Well, the analyte is the choline cation, the mobile phase is methanesulphonic acid (6mM) and im using the column IonPac CS19 with a relevant guard.
Those should be compatible with stainless steel.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
I would recommend to have a metal free system when working with MSA as an eluent.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
Could the problem be that you're using plastic syringes and filters for your final sample prep step and introducing semi-random amounts of chloride?

Is there a pattern to the variations in area? If areas are generally drifting up or down, you might have to consider chilling your samples as they may not be stable.
Thanks,
DR
6 posts Page 1 of 1