Rough Pump Choices

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm currently running 2 5975s, one coupled with a pfeiffer duo3 and the other with a duo2.5. The 2.5 is leaking like crazy and I'm looking for an alternative with longer lifetime. Our duo3 is going great and has been for maybe 4 years. If you had to swap out a 2.5 for something more reliable, what would you choose? Older rotary vane pumps? Dry scroll? I'm weighing options and would love to hear what others would do.
Regards,

Christian
I have Edwards E2M2s on all of my Agilent 5973/5975s. These pumps are all nearly 20 years old and have never been refurbed and all work great. I do plug them directly into an outlet instead of the back of the instrument so I have to unplug them when I vent, but otherwise the best thing I have done for them.

Most of the pumps were salvaged when we upgraded the 5970/71/72 units to the newer models, even a couple were from the 5995s we had. They really help if you run more than 1ml/min column flow also.

My Agilent 7000QQQ has an Edwards RV5 and on it when running normal scan in single quad mode I normally run with pressures at 7x10^-7torr, so if any of these fail I may consider using one of those if I can make it work.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
I have Edwards E2M2s on all of my Agilent 5973/5975s. These pumps are all nearly 20 years old and have never been refurbed and all work great. I do plug them directly into an outlet instead of the back of the instrument so I have to unplug them when I vent, but otherwise the best thing I have done for them.

Most of the pumps were salvaged when we upgraded the 5970/71/72 units to the newer models, even a couple were from the 5995s we had. They really help if you run more than 1ml/min column flow also.
I like them plugged into an outlet also. Because, when I vent, I can leave the system under low vacuum until I am actually ready to open it up and service the source.
We have been replacing our Edwards E2M1.5s with RV3s, they are quieter and perform better. The Pfeiffers have performed poorly, leaking soon after installation.
We were going through about two pfiefer pumps a year when under contract with agilent on our 5975. Finally switched to an edwards E2M1.5 a few years ago and once again have had no pump issues. I say once again because before the string of horrible leaky pfiefers I had an edwards pump on a 5971 that came with that instrument back in 1993 and never needed repair and is probably still running somewhere.
5 posts Page 1 of 1