multiple peaks in Extracted Ion Chromatogram for one m/z

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi analytical chemists,

I have run into an issue while reporting the compound identification results using MassHunter Agilent software B.07.00.
When I extract specific m/z value for EIC chromatogram, I get 3-4 peaks at different retention time, I am only interested one which matches the retention time of standard too.
What should I do? :| :roll:
Unfortunately you are not alone! MS is a 'very' powerful tool (detector) but unless the peaks are baseline separated (good chromatography) you just get a 'jumble' of M/Z ratios (like a stand alone MS). You need these peaks separated and that means a good HPLC method. It means you have to take advantage of the solubilities of these molecules between the mobile phase and the stationary phase in order to develop a differential concentration partition of these molecules.

In 'reverse phase' the addition of more water to the mobile phase retards the elution of these molecules while more organic makes them 'run' toward the solvent front. You are going to have to play around and develop a good HPLC method 1st (don't even look at the M/Z ratio).

It will also help if you tell us what is your molecular target and what is your sample matrix?
ana112 wrote:
Hi analytical chemists,

I have run into an issue while reporting the compound identification results using MassHunter Agilent software B.07.00.
When I extract specific m/z value for EIC chromatogram, I get 3-4 peaks at different retention time, I am only interested one which matches the retention time of standard too.
What should I do? :| :roll:

Just ignore peaks you are not interested in. :-)
3 posts Page 1 of 1