Software options for Varian Saturn 2000 GC-MS

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

28 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi

We have Varian Saturn 2000 GC-MS running Star 5.4 on winodws 98. We want to upgrade to new software and new PC. I am looking for software options to use with it. If I can run the machine on atleast windows xp, it will be great. Is there any open source software available ?

Thanks for your suggestions.
The biggest question is: what is the GC system in your configuration? If it's a 3800 (or 3900) then a software upgrade (to at least Windows XP) and a presumably faster computer will be simple enough.

The final release of Varian MS Workstation (version 6.9.2) from Varian prior to the Agilent acquisition is capable of controlling both the 3800/2000 modules on a computer running Windows XP. I am not sure what happened to 3800/2000 control when Bruker introduced Workstation 7.0. I'm guessing it only supports the 1200L and 300 series quadrupole mass spectrometers. Agilent has a software which controls the 200 series ion traps that belonged to Varian, but not sure it has the capability to control the 3800 GC.

Your best option might be to obtain a license for MS Workstation (6.9.2 or earlier), versions beyond 6.4 should all be compatible with XP. I would check for a copy online or see if Bruker can help. Good luck!
Thanks for the information UltimateScience. Just to add more information, Our GC-MS has 3800 GC fitted with 1079 injector and Saturn 2000 MS (ion trap). I wish if someone can help me with MS Workstation ver >6.4.
Bumping a year old thread as I am still looking for the software. Anyone want to sell or donate ?
Hello,

I think You can not buy the upgrade anymore.

If you have any availability maybe I can help.
marlenl wrote:
Hello,

I think You can not buy the upgrade anymore.

If you have any availability maybe I can help.

Are you offering or looking for one too ?
I have another question. Can we run two varian GC with one software in two different computer. Not sure about their license scheme or restrictions. Has anyone tried that ?
Yes. The licence of this type of software was very simple (just a keycode). So, if Your company policy is permit it, it is no problem. Becouse, no Varian anymore nobody will take to task.
Hi marlenl

Would you please lend me the Windows XP compatible ver software.

Thanks
Hi,

The size of the software is a few GB. How can I send You?
Hi Marlenl

Thanks for replying. We can sort out the software transfer either by FTP server upload or service like online storage. Please send me an email at kstiwari at gmail.

Thanks again.
OH, please, is there any chance I can get a copy of the software too? I need Varian MS workstation 6.0 or higher, if there is any chance someone can forward me the software and the license. If you want, I have Varian 6.2 for HPLC if you want to trade. Thanks!

BTW. I just called Bruker to see if Bruker MS Workstation 7 would work with Varian Saturn. He said probably no, but he would get back to me on Monday.
The Ion traps went to Agilent , you could try them
CE Instruments wrote:
The Ion traps went to Agilent , you could try them

Thanks, I didn't know that. Each time I've contacted Agilent, they've ALWAYS helped me, even when I wanted an old copy of Polyview and Aurora for Star workstation. I'll give them a try, hopefully they'll have it available if no one here can extend me a copy.
Just to update, Bruker got back to me. Bruker MS workstation 7 DOES NOT support Varian Saturn 2000/2200 MS instruments. The sales rep gave me the same advice as you, call Agilent.
28 posts Page 1 of 2