PE GCMS "unable to detect initial beam"

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Good morning,
We have a PE Clarus 500 GCMS. We are unable to get an auto-tune, and receive the message "Unable to detect initial beam". We are also unable to view any monitored peaks (PFTBA, air, water, etc). There is current through the filament.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my clarus 500.

I know its an old post but we're you able to solve your problem ?

Thank you.
I have a same problem now. Did you find any solution?
I was facing this issue intermittantly, while resurrecting a used unit i aquired.

I would recommend venting the machine as per the manual, and performing a cleaning on the source, changing the filament if needed.

Start by blanking off the column and isolating the ms, and pump down, set the source temp for 250 and leave overnight. This temp is recommended in the manual.

Perform an autotune then a full calibration the next day, verifying your vial has enough PFTBA in it for the reference gas.

Turbomass will reset the parameters on a full autotune and work from there.

Also, verify the 0.8mm set screws on the filament connectors are tight, and your filament is properly positioned while cleaning or reassembling the source. Be careful with the screw on the filament, it can break easily.
4 posts Page 1 of 1