Major Aquity Xevo TQD problem

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I would like to ask some more questions about a problem I described previously on this forum. I started working on the Acquity Xevo TQD system more than a year ago in April 2014. Immediately it was obvious that there was a high background and very low scanning sensitivity. I could not see phenolic compounds such as catechin and caffeic acid at concentrations below 5 mg/L at a 5 microliter injection volume in fullscan. Waters says they are not able to provide me with specifications for the fullscan functionality of the Xevo-TQD or with specifications for normal background. Another symptom I noticed was non-linear standard curves of all 18 analysed phenolic compounds in MRM mode as well as inaccurate quantification at levels above the limit of quantification. Please note that this is for the standards on their own. There was no matrix effect from samples involved in this phenomenon. The standard curves are non-linear at both the low and high end of the curves. I argued that these symptoms might indicate that some form of ion suppression is influencing the data. The residuals for the calibrations also showed a clear pattern and was certainly not random.

During 2014 Waters did a decontamination on the system, but this did not make any difference to the situation. They also did a manual tuning by remote login of a UK engineer which improved the negative ionisation sensitivity considerably. However, positive ionisation sensitivity still seems to be very bad. What bothers me about this scenario is that do I need to now always get a remote login from the UK to see any peaks in fullscan whatsoever, what would be the effect on resolution (there is always a balance between resolution and sensitivity on mass specs)? I have spoken to other triple quadrupole users of Agilent systems. They have no problems with fullscan ability after just a autotune. I have also found scientific papers where QQQ instruments were successfully used to screen in fullscan at ug/L levels. Apart from the decontamination that was done Waters (and their agent Microsep) have mostly denied the existence of any problem and said that I only needed further training.

In January 2015 a large amount of white powder was discovered in the source which has since been identified as magnesium oxide. Following this discovery I did some leaching experiments on the system and found that magnesium oxide, iron oxide, silicon oxide, sulphur and calcium was leaching from the LC system on its own. All our mobile phases were tested as well and were found to be clean.

Waters have since indicated that they are willing to exchange the entire flow-path of the LC. I am open to this idea. However, I am very concerned that damage might already have been done to the MS due to the metal ion contamination that have entered it for a year and especially after the large amount of MgO that landed in it in January. I wrote a letter to Waters explaining my concerns and asking for a commitment from them to repair the MS if there were any damage. I did not get a reply from them for 3 weeks and last week my boss told me that they want to speak to him alone. So, it seems that Waters is once again not willing to truly help. As you can imagine this is a utter nightmare for me. I am willing to work with them to get things fixed but obviously I need to make sure that we do address the possibility of damage to the MS. I have spoken to engineers and people who are experienced in the possible repercussions of this kind of contamination ending in a MS. They agree that the possibility of electronic damage to the MS is there due to the possibility of short-circuits. I'm not sure what will be said in that meeting with my boss but I am sure it will not be good for me even though I have been working so very hard to get to the bottom of this problem.

There are so many questions I could ask. I will start with the most important one.
Would you be worried about the MS too...?
Would you be content with that poor fullscan sensitivity and with not being able to test what you are seeing against specifications? (MRM specifications are of no use in such a situation, because the selectivity of the QQQ enables it to pass all MRM specifications even while loads of contamination is entering it.)

In case you would like some more detail about the analytical method:
LC conditions were as follows: 0.1% acetic acid in water in A and LC-MS grade acetonitrile in B. As stated previously these ions were seen at 5% B at a flow of 0.3 ml/min through a Acquity UPLC BEH C18 (1,7 micrometer, 2.1x100 mm) column. MS conditions were as follows: Capillary at 2 kV, cone at 30 V, desolvation temp. at 600 degrees C, desolvation gas flow at 700 L/hour, cone gas flow at 50 L/hour and source temp. of 130 degrees C. Waters Xevo TQD mass spectrometer. Acquity I-class.

I suspect the magnesium oxide contamination was present right from the start. Shortly after installation the UV flowcell was blocked by a white insoluble powder.
I am assuming a full PM has been done on the system, especially the front end hexapole and that collision cell crosstalk has been checked, as well as complete rebuild of the ESI probe. If so, what is the background noise level with no ion transmission (all electronics on, pull a slider for no transmission)? What is the difference between Q1 res/sensi and Q2 res/sensi with manual tuning? Using a separate syringe pump, new tubing between the probe inlet and syringe, what is the background level for 50:50 ACN:Water. You may require the service provider to clean all the RF Filters (pre and post) and if necessary both sets of rods given the extensive front-end contamination. You should have some (printed?) installation report that indicates the condition of the instrument when initially installed. You might ask your service provider to match those specifications.
Thank you mhr311 for your excellent advice. I will use this on the way forward to check whether the system is functioning optimally again. I need to go and check those quadrupole resolution/sensitivity settings and will give feedback here. A full PM was done after installation. So, we could definitely refer back to that. However, no rebuild of the ESI probe or tubing replacement has been done yet. I will try to put some images of the background levels I saw in the past on the forum today. The system has not been functioning since January. A full replacement of the entire flow path and a new PM will be done soon. We are still planning this with the local and international Waters representatives. I am not sure what the local service providers want to discuss with my boss in my absence, but I suspect it might have something to do with the fact that I insist on the MS also being serviced and checked. At least I have since learned that Waters international was not aware of this private meeting request from the local representatives. So, there is hope.
The manual tuning done yielded much better fullscan sensitivity using Q1. After this manual tuning the low mass resolution on Q1 is 12.0 and high mass resolution on Q1 is 14.2 with ion energy of 0.3. On Q2 the low mass resolution is 14.5 and the high mass resolution is 14.3 with ion energy of 0.9. We found that consistently we got much better fullscan sensitivity using Q1.

The manual tuning at first did not seem to improve fullscan sensitivity on Q2 much. However when the engineers increased ion energy on Q1 to 3.0 instead of the 0.3 in the original manual tune file a much better Q2 fullscan sensitivity was obtained though it was still lower than when using Q1 for scanning.

I am not sure what the resolution of the instrument is after this manual tuning but the sensitivity is definitely about 100 x better. How can I make sure that we don't have mass resolution problems? I guess infusing a standard and observing peak shapes and resolution would work?
I'm sorry to see that this is still an issue with Waters.

You need to be VERY careful of this "talk to my boss alone" business. If at all possible, and I know it is easy for me to say, INSIST that you be present at EACH & EVERY exchange between Waters and your boss.

Is your boss a mass spectrometrist ? Has he ever been into the MS lab ? Is/was he a lab. scientist

If the answer to any one of these questions is NO, then you may find yourself hung out to dry---what could Waters possibly discuss that you could not answer ?

The only good answer to this question is that perhaps Waters wants to make some kind of deal----do they want to make an offer to buy back the MS ??

Always remember, that there is nobody as invested in your career as you. Not your wife, not your children, not your dog, not your boss.

Please keep your cool, but DO NOT let them put this on you.

Regards,

JMB
Thanks JMB

I agree. I would like to be completely involved in the whole process of either exchanging the entire system or at least all the damaged parts and making sure that all is well. I have insisted on this and I hope there won't be any further problems like this and that we will soon have a fully functioning instrument. At least it seems that Waters International is completely on my side there.

As I explained in previous posts about this very puzzling metal ion contamination we are seeing, we found MgO in the source in January. Since then we have identified FeO, Silicon oxide, calcium and some form of sulphur leaching from the system. The sample syringe valve is contaminated with zinc oxide and aluminium oxide. What is interesting is that we see various metal oxides leaching from different parts of the system. The only logical explanation I can think of is that a strong oxidizing agent like a very strong acid was put through the system and damaged various metal surfaces in various ways. That is why we are not seeing the same contamination everywhere.

If this saga ends successfully I will certainly share the good news with this forum, because I have really been helped here. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share advice. This is such a difficult problem and situation that I am very grateful for every little piece of information and advice.
I hope this was resolved well... Sounds like you're right... someone who didn't know what they were doing may have put some kind of strong oxidizer in your LC. (Nitric? H2O2? Did someone put an ICP-MS sample in your instrument?)

Curious to know what happened. Hope this finds you well.
-HLR
Hi HLR

No, we never ran ICP-MS samples on the system. I know, however, that these systems do get passivated by certain or all manufacturers somewhere before or during installation. This usually entails that relatively strong acids are run through the system in order to make the metal surfaces inert to degradation. I'm wondering whether something might have gone wrong during this process.

I will definitely give feedback once this problem has been resolved because I think it might help other people who might have similar problems in future.

McGyver
8 posts Page 1 of 1